[Marxism] Terrrorism on the loose, within capital of world-wide supposed "anti-terrorrism"

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 2 03:10:47 MDT 2007

RACISM | NOOSES
The noose -- a symbol of hatred -- reappears
The noose -- a historical symbol of racial hatred
-- has made a reappearance,
spawning further debate about race in America.
Posted on Fri, Nov. 02, 2007

BY AUDRA D.S. BURCH
aburch at MiamiHerald.com
http://www.miamiherald.com/tropical_life/story/292913.html

The man rushed over after church services one Sunday a few weeks ago
to tell Pastor Carl Brooks about the noose dangling from a pole on a
quiet street just outside Punta Gorda.

Needing to see it for himself, Brooks drove by. The noose hung in the
yard beneath a Confederate flag, made pastel by the sun, and Brooks
sat in his car recalling a lifetime of hurt. He remembered the
20-gauge shotgun pressed to the back of his head for using a
whites-only toilet; the KKK flag burnings on both shoulders of a
highway in North Carolina; all the slurs and taunts.

The noose, an enduring symbol of hate born more than a century ago in
the Deep South, has made an ugly return, with authorities pointing to
a racially hued controversy in Jena, La., as the origin of this new
wave.

''Just a reminder that racism is alive and doing well,'' Brooks, a
former Marine, says resignedly. ``There's no mistaking what a noose
means.''

Civil rights leaders in Miami-Dade County called for an investigation
Thursday of a noose found last month at a county facility.

Across the nation, nooses -- seen as coiled ropes of racial terror by
blacks -- have been left at universities and offices, theaters and
historic ships, fire houses and police stations and on a bronzed
statue of the late rapper Tupac Shakur.

The most prominent incident happened in Jena, when the discovery of a
noose hanging from a schoolyard tree escalated into a student brawl.
Eventually, six black teens -- known as the Jena Six -- were charged
in the beating of a white student.

Now, as federal authorities investigate individual cases, a larger
question arises: What do the nooses represent? Some consider them a
barometer of American race relations. Others call them misguided,
childish pranks to which people have overreacted.

''The noose is replacing the burning cross in the minds of many white
people as the primary symbol of the Klan,'' says Mark Potok, director
of the Intelligence Project for the South Poverty Law Center, which
monitors hate crimes.

Potok said in a typical year, about half a dozen noose cases are
reported. This year, ''we know of about 50 already,'' he said. ``I
think this represents a fairly broad and deep white reaction to Jena
Six. They believe the events in Jena were distorted by a politically
correct machine.''

Last week, national civil rights leaders lobbied Congress to add
noose-related incidents to hate-crime statutes and to stiffen
penalties.

''Hanging nooses or hanging people or swastikas -- these are
provocative hate crimes,'' the Rev. Jesse Jackson told The Associated
Press. ``Unless justice is a deterrent, this hatred will spread.''

NO SHOPPING DAY

To protest the noose cases and other injustices, a coalition of
leaders, radio personalities and professionals called on blacks to
show economic muscle by not shopping Friday. They also announced a
Nov. 16 march on the nation's capital.

''In the history of the civil rights movements, we have often had to
appeal to the federal government to intervene. That was certainly the
case during my father's era of leadership,'' Martin Luther King III
said in published reports.

``The march . . . is an appeal to the federal government to do
something about the crimes, such as the nooses that seem to be
popping up all over the nation.''

The Jena case started at the beginning of school last year when a
black student asked the vice principal if he could sit under the
''white tree.'' He was told to sit wherever he chose. The next day,
three nooses were hanging from the oak.

And in December, with racial tension already simmering, six black
students jumped a white boy. He was taken to the hospital but was
able to attend a class ring ceremony later that day. The black
students were charged with attempted murder.

The case grew into a cause celebré as people across the nation
questioned the stiff charges and what they believed was uneven
justice delivered in the South. Others contended that the case
involved teen pranks and fights unfairly blown out of proportion into
a national litmus test on race.

What few would deny is that the sight of a noose still sends shivers
through the black community.

Between 1882 and 1968, there were a documented 4,743 lynchings in the
United States. Most of the victims were black men.

''There are people who don't understand the history and enormity of
the role lynchings playing in this country,'' says Carmen Van
Kerckhove, who runs New Demographic, an anti-racism training company.
``What's most shocking is when you learn lynchings were treated as
celebratory. The entire community would come out and make a day of
it. They would sometimes refer to them as picnics and bring food.''

She added: ``In photos, you see these charred bodies hanging from a
tree, and there was a crowd, including children, smiling.''

Now the noose has returned to the nation's consciousness.

Nooses have been looped over a tree at the University of Maryland;
tied around the neck of Shakur's likeness in Stone Mountain, Ga.;
draped on the doorknob of a black Columbia University professor's
office; hung in the locker room of a Long Island police station. They
have been found in a black Coast Guard cadet's bag on a historic ship
and in a Manhattan post office near Ground Zero.

Last year, nooses were discovered in the gear of two black
firefighters in Jacksonville, prompting a monthslong investigation.
No one was charged.

MIAMI-DADE INCIDENT

And Thursday, Miami-Dade civil rights leaders held a press conference
demanding a county investigation after a noose was found hanging from
the ceiling of a county water and sewer treatment plant in North
Miami-Dade.

''We are outraged. We are not trying to exacerbate or create any more
tension, but we feel the pain that Jews feel when they see a
swastika, or a Cuban feels when Fidel Castro is celebrated. It's the
same pain we feel when a noose is found,'' says Richard P. Dunn,
president of P.U.L.S.E., a civil rights organization.

``We are going to the county commission to demand a zero tolerance of
hate. We want an investigation and sensitivity training. Somebody
needs to be charged for this.''

In Punta Gorda, Brooks led a caravan of church parishioners to see
the noose hanging in the yard. It has since been taken down.

''I took them to see our history, to learn about how ugly it was,''
Brooks says.

It was a ride he wishes he didn't have to take:

``It's a shame that we are having this conversation in 2007.''