[Marxism] The SWP, Respect and the united front

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Mon Nov 5 05:14:57 MST 2007

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 13:32:50 -0500, Joaquin Bustelo wrote:

> 	The "United Front" is not a universal panacea.
> It was a specific application to a specific situation
> -- the labor movement in several European countries after WWI --
> of Marxists tactics, i.e., tactics based on a historical and
> materialist understanding of the evolution of human society
> in general and the class political movement of the workers
> in particular.

  say: of the need for the workers to form a unity, and to separate from
the ruling class, or, as Marx formulated, to form themselves as a
separate political party in and by ourselves.

> 	Fine as the United Front may have been for those days,
> the tactics of communists today must be based on today's situation,
> and on an understanding that today's situation is radically
> and qualitatively different from that of the post-WWI
> European labor movement.

  The form has to be different, but the strategic orientation for unity
of the class, and "class against class" remains.

  As I liked to say in the internal discussions of our German section of
the Fourth International, our little group of a few hundred members
would not write a letter to the SPD leadership to invite for a comradely
discussion how we two would work together for the good of the working
people.

  The form has to be different, the content remains.

Cheers,
L.W.

Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany