[Marxism] When Israel Was Apartheid's Open Ally - By Lenni Brenner

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 5 16:36:49 MST 2007

Jimmy Carter has done an outstanding job, indeed, he's performed
a mitzvah for us all by opening up the legitimacy of discussion
of the the nature of the Zionist project. As the most influential
public figure to have done this, we have every reason to be very
grateful to Carter for what he's done. And this isn't the first
time this former president has helped to open previously-sealed
ideological doors. Good for him.

Now, as to Lenni Brenner's conclusion, I'd like to draw Marxmail
readers' attention to the decisive paragraph:

"Five years later, Israel is still very powerful. But in time it too
shall be replaced by a democratic secular binational Palestinian/Israeli
state. The model for that is today's South African constitution. Most
whites there say that they as well as blacks are the better for it. And
when secular binationalism finally wins, Israelis as well as
Palestinians will likewise rejoice in their equality, peace and prosperity."

The precise nature of the regime which will have to supplant Zionism
remains to be determined by the people who choose to live there, but
there's a great deal to be learned from the South African experience.
I expect something similar will come out of the Irish experience, as
it may conceivably come out of the Colombian situation should there
every be a reduction, or even a fully-negotiated resolution to their
long-standing civil war. These things can't be expected or assumed
to end in a simple, clear, perfect manner.

The deal which the ANC made with the apartheid regime cut the armed
struggle short, brought about black majority rule, but did not end
the capitalist system. Yet it remains historic progress by every
possible account, and it's a good thing that Lenni Brenner grasps
this reality, which some on the left fail to grasp. Thanks, Louis,
for sharing this very good commentary with Marxmail readers.

Walter Lippmann
Havana, Cuba

.