[Marxism] Venezuela

Peter McLaren drpetermclaren at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 09:10:06 MST 2007

> Couldn't agree more, there is no doubt that after April 2002 and the
> bourgeois lost control of the Venezuelan military. But then Venezuela
> today is also not Venezuela in 2002. My caution leans towards being
> very careful of what could happen over the next month rather than any
> other type of caution. Here in Venezuela whilst everyone says we will
> still win the refrom in december are on their toes and watching
> closely with caution as well
> Fred

Dear Walter and Fred,
I have just returned from Venezuela, and was speaking in the heart of
opposition territory, in Maracaibo. In fact, directly behind me at a
luncheon at the university faculty center,   former coup members were
having a private meeting. I spoke in strongly anti-Chavez settings as
a Chavista, and it was very very tense. I spoke as well  in smaller
pro-Chavez settings. Tragically, the day before my last talk, two
students were shot and killed on campus and I was forced off the
campus by the military police. I have to give some talks in Finland,
but directly upon my return, I am off to Caracas to talk at the
Bolivarian University there and to support the referendum. Will
report back then.
Peter