[Marxism] Whigs and Democrats

mlause at cinci.rr.com mlause at cinci.rr.com
Mon Nov 12 13:25:05 MST 2007

Insofar as they were a national party, the Whigs were as proslavery as the Democrats.  If they were not, the Southern wing would have simply disintegrated and it would have spelled the death of the national organization.

there were some mildly antislavery elements in the Whig Party, as among the Democrats, but the third party forces after 1848 stripped away most of thsoe who were primarily concerned about slavery.

I can honestly say that I just hate every movie I've ever seen about Jesse James, mostly because the only honest potrayal would probably resemble something like "Helter Skelter."

Jesse James was turned into a legend in Missouri through the "journalism" of John N. Edwards, a small town newspaper editor who recast border bigotry into Homeric prose in a series of book-length "histories" as well as periodical phrase-making.  For years, Edwards warmed neo-Confederate ancestor worshippers to the depths of whatever hearts they had with his  homespun tales of loyal darkeys,trecherous  redskins and benevolent sociopaths like the James boys.  Edwards apparently hit the bottle enough to where he may have actually had a hard time telling the difference between what had happened and outright lying.

The only major addition people have made to Edwards' silliness in recent times  was the invention of a Knights of the Golden Circle connection, something even more groundless and absurd (and without the excuse of Major Edwards' bottle).

Frank James had ridden with Jo Shelby's cavalry early in the war, but returned to Missouri to fight with the guerilla chief, WIlliam C. Quantrill.  In August 1863, Quantril's men had stormed through Lawrence, Kansas slaughtering any male over the age of 11 or 12 that fell into their hands.

Viewing Quantrill as excessively mild, the boys joined "Bloody Bill" Anderson whose msot memorable act was the "Centralia massacre" that left something like 180 dead union soldiers and civilians, some scalped, decapitated and castrated.

So, all in all, Jesse James makes a great Hero for Modern America.

ML