[Marxism] Chavez versus Aznar

David Picón Álvarez david at miradoiro.com
Tue Nov 13 12:49:46 MST 2007

From: "Louis Proyect" <lnp3 at panix.com>
> http://www.counterpunch.org/kozloff11132007.html

A point of minor importance, but which might make things seem worse than
they were, is that often heads of state speak in the informal mode to each
other. I'm not sure why this is, although I think it has to do with the idea
that sovereigns are notionally equal.

Personally, I think the king was out of place, and Zapatero was making a
point that although substantively indefensible didn't really justify in my
view Chávez's reaction. I don't know what the result of it would be, perhaps
he will obtain political advantages at home and elsewhere in Latin America,
but this has permitted the media to sell the Spanish people the bill of
goods that Chávez is undiplomatic at best and a thug at worst. This might
force Spain to distance itself from Venezuela, which I wouldn't like.

--David.