[Marxism] Is the Anti-War movement in decline

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 14 01:52:41 MST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 11:32 PM, Eli Stephens <elishastephens at hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Opposition to the Iraq war became mainstream far more rapidly. Today,
> some four and half years after the invasion of Iraq, 57 percent of Americans
> favour withdrawal and 52 percent oppose the conflict in Afghanistan."
>
> I don't know where that figure comes from about Afghanistan, but I find it
> highly questionable.

Thanks for these comments.  The stat is absolutely kosher/halaal and is
taken from here: http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/14497

> As far as Iraq, it comes down to the question of what is meant by "favor
> withdrawal," doesn't it? Does that mean immediate and total withdrawal, the
> position of the "heart" of the antiwar movement? Certainly not. Does it mean
> "start" to withdraw? Withdraw within a year?

I think if the polls have been right, most Americans would have wished the
withdrawal process to start years ago, and are adusting their position
according to what they perceive as being practical.  But they clearly want a
timetable for withdrawal at the moment, and I don't think this has anything
to do with really wanting to say there a moment longer - rather I expect it
means an *expeditious* withdrawal process:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/18/opinion/polls/main3071073.shtml

> Statistics like that are great to throw around at demonstrations, or in
> writing letters to the editor, or whatever, and they ARE significant, but
> they don't necessarily have anything to do with whether the "antiwar
> movement" is in decline or not.

As it happens, I agree to some extent, but I raise them only to the extent
that they are significant and are co-produced by the antiwar movement.  I
still think you wouldn't see half as much of this opposition if the movement
was really dead, nothing happening on the ground, demos being terribly small
etc.