[Marxism] Is the Anti-War movement in decline

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Nov 14 10:10:16 MST 2007

While it may be true that latent antiwar sentiment is presently a mile wide
but only an inch deep, it would nevertheless seem to be highly combustible,
more like gasoline than water, as the following report in today's Washington
Post indicates.

*    *    *

Iranian Policy Questioned at Alexandria Town Meeting
By Kirstin Downey
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 14, 2007; A14

A town hall meeting on U.S. policy toward Iran drew more than 800 people in
Alexandria last night, many of them denouncing government policies that they
said are pushing the country toward another war in the Mideast.

At a sometimes-heated public forum conducted by U.S. Rep. James P. Moran Jr.
(D-Va.), almost all of the area residents who spoke raised pointed questions
about the possible consequences of a U.S. attack on Iran, which many seemed
to believe was imminent.

Moran, a vocal opponent of the war in Iraq, said that the Bush
administration seemed set on a similar course in Iran. He said the
administration had sought $100 million to outfit B-2 aircraft with bombs
capable of penetrating 60 feet of concrete before exploding. Such weapons,
he said, would be needed only to attack a nation capable of protecting a
weapons program in deep bunkers.

Moran also said there was a "drumbeat of rhetoric" that reminded him of the
run-up to the war in Iraq.

Many in the audience indicated that they believed that the Bush
administration has had a series of failures in the Mideast and that its
policies have made the situation there worse.

Suggestions that Vice President Cheney should be impeached drew vigorous
applause.

"Cheney is working every day to find a pretext to launch an attack on Iran,"
one woman in the audience said.

Moran said that impeaching Cheney would be a bad idea.

"Many people ask me about impeaching Cheney, but if we impeached Cheney,
we'd need to deal with Bush," Moran said.

said that he disagrees with the policies of those he identified as the
Israeli lobby in the United States and believes they are
"counterproductive." He said other groups should work equally hard to shift
U.S. policies in other directions.

In recent months, President Bush has said that if Iran built nuclear
weapons, it could provoke "World War III."

Many people have questioned whether he plans military action rather than
diplomacy to halt Iranian nuclear efforts.

Some at last night's meeting asked what should be done about human rights
abuses in Iran, with one questioner asserting that public hangings are
becoming commonplace there as a means to intimidate dissidents.

Many people in the audience said they were pleased by the large turnout at
the forum, titled "Is Iran Next?"

"It's good to see people are beginning to wake up to what's going on in the
Middle East," said Robert Lehmberg of Alexandria, who described himself as a
conservative Republican. "Our policies there are completely screwed up."

"My sense is that we're losing control of this government, and that scares
me," said Betty Guttmann of Alexandria, who said she was a Democrat. "I gave
up bowling to come to this."

The event was held at the landmark George Washington Masonic Temple. Traffic
at the base of the towering structure was snarled as police told motorists
the parking lot had overflowed.

It appeared that many people were parking on surrounding streets and walking
uphill to reach the meeting.