[Marxism] [Fwd: [snow-news] 'Olympian' lets police blame victims, gives fanatics a chatroom]

David McDonald dbmcdonald at comcast.net
Thu Nov 15 06:44:16 MST 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[snow-news] 'Olympian' lets police blame victims, gives
fanatics a chatroom
Date: 	Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:16:25 -0800 (PST)
From: 	jensenmk at plu.edu
To: 	jensenmk82 at gmail.com

Thanks to Mark Jensen of Tacoma for this extract from the comments
section of The Olympian, the daily newspaper of Olympia, WA.

The local attempts to stop the offloading of Stryker vehicles and other
war impedimenta returning from Iraq is big and getting bigger and has
touched a deepening layer of ordinary people from Olympia. Keep an eye
on this. People who want to get the news from this arena directly can go
to www.ufppc.org or subscribe to snow-news at lists.riseup.net. I have
added paragraph breaks to increase the readability of Mark's long
introductory comments.

David McDonald
LOCAL NEWS: Olympian lets police blame vicitms, gives fanatics a chatroom

[On Wednesday afternoon, the *Olympian* posted a short piece reporting
Olympian police allegations that "protesters at the Port of Olympia became
overly aggressive early this morning.[1] -- As usual, many strange,
scurrilous, and sometimes libellous comments soon appeared on the
*Olympian* comment page accompanying the article, with the absurd charge
that OlyPMR is a "terrorist" organization figuring as a quite common
fantasy.

-- One writer states: "[The groups protesting at the port]
have a history of violence and aggression. Some are labeled as terrorists
in other countries and have international warrants for their arrest. . .
[M]any of my fellow bloggers and associates and new age/Christian groups .
. . have decided not to go into or travel through the downtown Olympia and
Port area including the government offices for the foreseeable future. . .
. I strongly suggest that it would be prudent to keep your children and
yourselves away from the protestors and the expanding areas they are in.
If an event occurs then the authorities may not have time to care who is a
'bad protestor' and who is a 'true blood American supporting the
troops.'". . . . [The protesters] want to be beaten and shot and gassed
and tasared and killed to get attention and win millions in lawsuits and
donations."

-- One fanatic, who posted no fewer than ten comments on the
story, writes: "I once again call for a total boycott of all businesses
in the city limits of Olympia. . . . Maybe then enough pressure will be
placed upon this rogue city hall to allow the police to untie their hands
and treat these 'peaceful protestors' appropriately." -- A little later,
the same person writes that "unfortunatey OPD's hands tied because of the
inept city councel and mayor they have set forth the catch and release
they have set forth an anarchist state. I wouldn't doubt if TJ didn't use
city tax dollars to ship up and house these supposed anarchists from
oregon that people say are here. Afterall he misuses city property and
funds for his other personal causes."

-- Later: "The reason that these
PMR criminals get away with so much is that they are the POLITICALLY
ACTIVE ones. Every single citizen that is complaining about the criminal
actions of the PRM 'protesters' needs to attend the next Olympia City
Council meeting. The next meeting is at 7:00 pm on Tuesday, November
20th. . . . Sign up and make your voice heard. That’s what these
Olympia/TESC leftists do. . . . Every time someone tells me how irritated
they are with these PMR criminals, my response now is 'WHAT ARE YOU GOING
TO DO ABOUT IT?' So, to all of you venting about the PMR criminals: WHAT
ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT ???????"

-- Later: "Since the City won't
prosecute as a means to defend private property, it falls to the
individual. Don't let the terrorists (protesters)win. If they don't
break the law regarding destruction of private property, they have nothing
to fear. If they do, then the hammer of God should come down on them!"
-- Another writer complains that "my family and our downtown business is
suffering due to this blatant Terrorism. OPD is doing a fine job realing
them in and I'm sure could do much more if City Hall would quit letting
the fish go! Good job OPD, time to break out the water cannon for these
events!"

-- Another commentator goes to the trouble of citing the
definition of "terrorism" in the USC and of copying out the *American
Heritage Dictionary* definition to reach the conclusion: "[T]hese idiots
who break the law and hold up civilian truck drivers and citizens of
Olympia by standing in the road and trying to intimidate them to stop . .
. are domestic terrorists and it makes me sick to know that our City
Council members are participating in such ridiculous behavior." --
Another alleges that "The Counsil won't move again't TJ because they are
afraid he will call in his 'Goons' to terrorize their families. He is a
most foul person. Far worse than a Bush or a Cheney."

--
Cool-headedness and common sense are hard to find on the *Olympian*'s
comment page, but it does exist, as in a message that note: "It's
interesting that the police speculate that some of the people are from out
of town, and then a couple of sentences later the Olympian treats this as
if it were an established fact. As Thomas Merton wrote in his essay
'Auschwitz, A Family Camp,' the only thing necessary to get people to
commit the most heinous crimes against other human beings is to have the
abuse sanctioned by authority, and to identify the victims as 'other,'
somehow not one of 'us.' Many of the writers here have, in their minds,
already made both of those steps." Another comments: "Let's see, the
police claim there are outsiders in the protest. Proof? None. However,
they also say police officers WERE imported from other towns. Hmmm. The
police were completely out of control as aggressors. They looked crazed
too, some clearly getting off on their use of force. Rather homoerotic
scene with them showing off for each other. Not that there's anything
wrong with that, but they were egging each other on to ratchet up the
level of brutality. I don't think they're fit for duty if that's an
example of police decision-making."

-- Finally, there is this long,
reflective comment: "So many of the computer chair right-wingers who
mainly just engage in blogging and then listening to talk radio have
exaggerated the meaning of the word terrorism to encompass the annoyance
caused by the protestors. Their comments speak for themselves and the
seriousness for which we should take the republican rhetoric on terrorism.
I have not read nor heard anything catastrophic that happened here in
Olympia. The people who flew airplanes on 9/11 were terrorists; these
protestors are not because of the missing element of 'violence,' because
what happened here was a tea party in comparison. Unless you folks don't
start talking straight about terrorism your going to distort your message
beyond recognition. It is a cost for the city and if anyone is injured,
that's just wrong. But as a big property tax payer in this city, I don't
object to the cost. I don't agree that the citizenry, many of whom object
to the war in the first place, should be impeded in their travels, nor
should anyone. Seems like they could let the cars through at least. I
don't like the rocks through the window, but if more people joined them in
an actual peaceful protest like this, say a few thousand, the government
would have a problem. The root of the problem, and part of the cause of
the problem is myself, in not being more active to stop this ignorant war
that has gone on for so many years and has cost so many trillions that we
have yet to pay for. People do not understand the significance of that
figure or its long term effects on this country. Most of the people in
this country are living a fantasy inside their head of the political
meaning of this whole war instead of taking personal accountability and
looking at reality. . . What most of the bloggers don't understand is that
there are some of us with deeply held religious convictions that war and
violence and murder in any form is a terrible sin. If everyone had that
belief and practiced it there wouldn't be a problem. I have a religious
conviction against my money being used to support the Port of Olympia in
my own city in this war effort. I am opposed to being forced to have
anything to do with financing it and I object to it being at the Port."
--Mark]

1.

PORT PROTESTERS OVERLY AGGRESSIVE, OLYMPIA POLICE SAY

** 'Something last night was a little different' **

Olympian (Olympia, WA)
November 14, 2007

http://www.theolympian.com/breakingnews/story/271419.html

Olympia police said today that protesters at the Port of Olympia became
overly aggressive early this morning and late Tuesday night as 43 people
were arrested.

"Something last night was a little different," Olympia police spokesman
Dick Machlan said.

Fifteen of the people were men and 28 women.

Machlan said he's not sure why the protests against moving military
equipment from the port to Fort Lewis escalated, but he guessed some of
the people may have been from out of the area.

He said Olympia police are used to dealing with protests in the state's
capitol, but this group "moved it to a different realm."

"They are not of the same mindset" as local protesters, he said. "They've
clearly chosen to break the law.

"Some people are there to make a point about the war," Machlan added.
"But once the point has been made they need to move on."

--For more on the story, see The Olympian Thursday.