[Marxism] Thousands of MN students to walk out against war/military recruitment Friday

Dan DiMaggio dannydamage at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 10:53:55 MST 2007

www.yawr.org

For Immediate Release to the Press:
November 14, 2007

Thousands of Minnesota Students will Walk Out Friday to Rally Against
Military Recruitment and the War

Students from over 40 schools across Twin Cities region to participate
in a National Day of Action to “End Business as Usual” called by
IraqMoratorium.org

When: Friday, November 16, 1:00pm – 4:30pm
Where: Walkout Rally at Government Plaza, Downtown Minneapolis (5th St
and 3rd Ave) followed by 2pm march to Augsburg College for 3pm indoor
teach-in.

Student Organizers available for interview:
Tyrus Thompson, Youth Against War & Racism representative, 651-210-5342

Magdalena Kaluza, Minneapolis South High, 612-807-2424
Laura Madsen, Bloomington Kennedy High, 952-465-5309

 On Friday, November 16, 2007, over one thousand students from over 50
schools in the Twin Cities area are expected to walk out of class to
demand and end to military recruitment in schools and an end to the
Iraq War.  Students will walk out of class at noon and converge at
Government Plaza for a 1pm rally featuring speakers including local
high school students, spoken word artists, and Iraq Veterans Against
the War.

      The walkout is being organized by Youth Against War and Racism
(YAWR), a student-led network with groups in dozens of schools, that
has organized two previous walkouts (on November 2, 2005 and April 28,
2006) and is now campaigning to pressure local school boards to
restrict military  recruiters' access to schools. The protest will
demand an end to the war in Iraq and that the troops be brought home
now, as well as demanding money for education – not war, and an end to
military recruitment in schools and their discriminatory targeting of
low-income students and students of color.

      Peter Karns from Como High in St. Paul, who will speak at the
rally Friday, explained: "We’re walking out because the St. Paul School
Board rejected our demands to restrict military recruitment. I almost
joined the Navy in September because the recruiters lied to me and said
the military is the ticket to a better life. They said joining the
military is the only option to get financial security for me and my
girlfriend. The recruiters have billions of dollars to spend on TV ads
and video games - why do they need to come after us in our schools?”

      Laura Madsen, a senior at Kennedy High School in Bloomington
explained why she is organizing for the walkout: "This war has killed
over 3800 U.S. troops and according to some estimates over a million
Iraqis. We are not willing to let business as usual continue while the
government continues this criminal war in our name."

      "People say our generation is apathetic, but we're walking out to
show them that's not true," said Magdalena Kaluza, a student at South
High. "We think the walkout will encourage other people to take action
against the war and for a future for our generation."

      Students are expected from most Twin Cities high schools and
colleges, and from high schools as far away as Foley, MN and River
Falls, WI, are expected at the 1pm rally. Students will be available
for interviews before, during, and after the walk out.