[Marxism] Mike Gonzalez On Hugo Chavez

Néstor Gorojovsky nmgoro at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 04:59:08 MST 2007

2007/11/19, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com>:

> ... those
> of us living in the US have to focus on the class struggle here. I often
> have the feeling that Cuba serves the same role in his life that Iran
> plays in Yoshie's. We really need to keep that kind of escapism from the
> tough and dreary world of American politics to a minimum.

I couldn´t agree most with the first sentence. But I am somehow uneasy
as to the prescription.

Marxists in an imperialist nation, where their own bourgeoisie thrives
on a particular _international_ situation, risk to "escape" the "tough
and dreary world" of imperialist domestic politics by dreaming of far
away paradises, true. But what if those paradises are targeted by
their own local imperialist bourgeoisie?

They can´t stick to everyday politics at home without adopting at
least some kind of international outlook, which of course must be
rendered to their own fellow class members in an understandable
language. In times of retreat of revolutionary thought like the ones
we are still traversing, probably this is the hardest issue for a
Marxist in the First World: to keep a balance between, to put it in
bourgeois terms, acting locally and thinking as globally as the Great
Enemy does (Because we should agree, IMHO, that our enemy DOES.)