[Marxism] NYT: A Health System's 'Miracles' Come With Hidden Costs

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:36:41 MST 2007

Actually the bizarre thing about this article is the headline, possibly the
editors' attempt to offset the positive nature of the article itself. Those
"hidden costs" don't even make it into the article until the eighth paragraph,
where we read this entirely undocumented (albeit with some truth in it, as
Walter testifies) statement:

"The doctors and nurses left in Cuba are stretched thin and
overworked, resulting in a decline in the quality of care for Cubans,
some doctors and patients said."

How MUCH of a decline, and HOW MANY "doctors and patients" make such a claim, is
unclear. Has it had any effect whatsoever, for example, on life expectancy, or
any statistically measurable quantity other than perhaps waiting time at the
doctor's office? We don't know.

Then three paragraphs later, an 84-year-old doctor has this to say:

"I don't like it, really," he said. "It's wonderful for the people, but not for
us. It disturbs our work."

That was it! Those were the "hidden costs" which the Times' thought so necessary
to include prominently in the headline to the article.

Bizarre.