[Marxism] Nandigram: Appeal from Chomsky, Vijay Prashad and Others

Sukla Sen suklasenp at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 01:49:36 MST 2007

This apparently is a coup staged by Vijay Prashad,
understandably a member of the CPIM think tank.

The claim that "those who had been dispossessed by the
violence [unleashed by private militias backed up by
the state machinery] are now being allowed back to
their homes, without recrimination" is nothing but a
tissue of lies.
Reconciliation would at the minimum require that the
CPIM must immediately halt all violence against its
opponents. The government must immediately take
initiative in forming an inclusive people's committee
including all stakeholders - representatives of all
the
political parties and also non-party organisations
involved in the struggle, to monitor and oversee
providing of relief, rehabilitation and compensation
to all the affected without any discrimination. A
credible public enquiry must also be instituted into
the whole shameful episode and the guilty from all the
sides must be brought to book including state
functionaries regardless of levels.

The talks of forgive and forget otherwise remain only
a cruel and filthy joke.

And those who wash their hands with the blood of the
peasants to loot their lands better not claim the
banner of Leftism or anti-imperialism.
Even their bestial brutality is not as horrific as
their breathtaking hypocrisy.

Sukla

To Our Friends in Bengal.

News travels to us that events in West Bengal have
overtaken the optimism that some of us have
experienced during trips to the state. We are
concerned about the rancor that has divided the public
space, created what appear to be unbridgeable gaps
between people who share similar values. It is this
that distresses us. We hear from people on both sides
of this chasm, and we are trying to make some sense of
the events and the dynamics. Obviously, our distance
prevents us from saying anything definitive. We
continue to trust that the people of Bengal will not
allow their differences on some issues to tear apart
the important experiments undertaken in the state
(land reforms, local self-government).

We send our fullest solidarity to the peasants who
have been forcibly dispossessed. We understand that
the government has promised not to build a chemical
hub in the area around Nandigram. We understand that
those who had been dispossessed by the violence are
now being allowed back to their homes,

without recrimination. We understand that there is now
talk of reconciliation. This is what we favor.

*The balance of forces in the world is such that it
would be impetuous to split the left. We are faced
with a world power that has demolished one state
(Iraq) and is now threatening another (Iran). This is
not the time for division when the basis of division
no longer appears to exist.*

Noam Chomsky, author, Failed States: The Abuse of
Power and the Assult on Democracy.

Tariq Ali, author, Pirates of the Caribbean: Axis of
Hope and editor, New Left Review.

Howard Zinn, author, A Power Governments Cannot
Suppress.

Susan George, author, Another World is Possible if,
and Fellow, Transnational Institute.

Victoria Brittain, co-author, Enemy Combatant: A
British Muslim's Journey to Guantanamo and Back,
former editor, Guardian.

Walden Bello, author, Dilemmas of Domination. The
Unmaking of the American Empire, and Chair, Akbayan,
the fastest growing party in the Philippines.

Mahmood Mamdani, author, Good Muslim, Bad Muslim:
America, The Cold War and the Roots of Terror.

Akeel Bilgrami, author, Politics and the Moral
Psychology of Identity.

Richard Falk, author, The Costs of War: International
Law, the UN and World Order After Iraq.

Jean Bricmont, author, Humanitarian Imperialism: Using
Human Rights to Sell War.

Michael Albert, author, Parecon: Life After
Capitalism, and editor, ZNET.

Stephen Shalom, author, Imperial Alibis: Rationalizing
US Intervention After the Cold War.

Charles Derber, author, People Before Profit. The New
Globalization in an Age of Terror, Big Money and
Economic Crisis.

Vijay Prashad, author, The Darker Nations: A People's
History of the Third World.

This email was cleaned by emailStripper, available for
free from http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm