[Marxism] China Vows to Pursue Three Gorges Fixes (WSJ) REFORMATTED

dave.walters at comcast.net dave.walters at comcast.net
Wed Nov 21 08:55:57 MST 2007

My view on this is that the gov't, typical of totalitarian regimes, ignored and in
fact suppressed all those who spoke against or questioned the project. On the
other hand, they appear to be listening now after the obvious "I told you so" pie
thrown in their faces for all to see.

IMO, they have no choice but to rectify the problems. The reason they have no
choice is that the dam will provide 23 gigawatts of carbon-free power. Its simply
too much to ignore...so they have to make it right. This means that shoring up and rebuilding parts of the boundry of the large dam-created lake has to be done to
get the full potential out of the dam. It will mean periodic opening of spill ways to
allow for 'natural flooding' of the down stream areas to wash out accumulated pollution down stream and up stream.

I believe the Chinese gov't will have to get it right or, as Walter implies, the
political consequences will snap the gov't like a twig.

David