[Marxism] New pearl Harbor

Greg McDonald sabocat59 at mac.com
Sun Nov 25 11:44:26 MST 2007

Here is a more recent follow up to the Porter article.

     How the Military Can Stop an Iran Attack
     by Jeremy Brecher and Brendan Smith; The Nation; October 10, 2007

         ( October 9, 2007) Sometimes history--and necessity--make
strange bedfellows. The German general staff transported Lenin to
Russia to lead a revolution. Union-buster Ronald Reagan played
godfather to the birth of the Polish Solidarity union. Equally
strange--but perhaps equally necessary--is the addressee of a new
appeal signed by Daniel Ellsberg, Cindy Sheehan, Ann Wright and many
other leaders of the American peace movement:

         "ATTENTION: Joint Chiefs of Staff and all U.S. Military
Personnel: Do not attack Iran."

    The initiative responds to the growing calls for an attack on
Iran from the likes of Norman Podhoretz and John Bolton, and the
reports of growing war momentum in Washington by reporters like
Seymour Hersh of The New Yorker and Joe Klein of Time. International
lawyer Scott Horton says European diplomats at the recent United
Nations General Assembly gathering in New York "believe that the
United States will launch an air war on Iran, and that it will occur
within the next six to eight months." He puts the likelihood of
conflict at 70 percent.

  The initiative also responds to the recent failure of Congress to
pass legislation requiring its approval before an attack on Iran and
the hawk-driven resolution encouraging the President to act against
the Iranian military. Marcy Winograd, president of Progressive
Democrats of Los Angeles, who originally suggested the petition, told
The Nation:

  If we thought that our lawmakers would restrain the Bush
Administration from further endangering Americans and the rest of the
world, we would concentrate solely on them. If we went to Las Vegas
today, would we find anyone willing to bet on this Congress
restraining Bush? I don't think so.

  Because our soldiers know the horrors of war--severed limbs,
blindness, brain injury--they are loath to romanticize the
battlefield or glorify expansion of the Iraq genocide that has left a
million Iraqis dead and millions others exiled.

         Military Resistance

         What could be stranger than a group of peace activists
petitioning the military to stop a war? And yet there is more logic
here than meets the eye.   Asked in an online discussion September 27
whether the Bush Administration will launch a war against Iran,
Washington Post intelligence reporter Dana Priest replied, "Frankly,
I think the military would revolt and there would be no pilots to fly
those missions."  She acknowledged that she had indulged in a bit of
hyperbole, then added, "but not much."

   There have been many other hints of military disaffection from
plans to attack Iran--indeed, military resistance may help explain
why, despite years of rumors about Bush Administration intentions,
such an attack has not yet occurred. A Pentagon consultant told Hersh
more than a year ago, "There is a war about the war going on inside
the building." Hersh also reported that Gen. Peter Pace had forced
Bush and Cheney to remove the "nuclear option" from the plans for
possible conflict with Iran--in the Pentagon it was known as the
April Revolution.

  In December, according to Time correspondent Joe Klein, President
Bush met with the Joint Chiefs of Staff in a secure room known as The
Tank. The President was told that "the U.S. could launch a
devastating air attack on Iran's government and military, wiping out
the Iranian air force, the command and control structure and some of
the more obvious nuclear facilities." But the Joint Chiefs were
"unanimously opposed to taking that course of action," both because
it might not eliminate Iran's nuclear capacity and because Iran could
respond devastatingly in Iraq--and in the United States.

    In an article published by Inter Press Service, historian and
national security policy analyst Gareth Porter reported that Adm.
William Fallon, Bush's then-nominee to head the Central Command
(Centcom), sent the Defense Department a strongly worded message
earlier this year opposing the plan to send a third carrier strike
group into the Persian Gulf. In another Inter Press analysis, Porter
quotes someone who met with Fallon saying an attack on Iran "will not
happen on my watch." He added, "You know what choices I have. I'm a
professional.... There are several of us trying to put the crazies
back in the box."

   Military officers in the field have frequently refuted Bush
Administration claims about Iranian arms in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Porter says that when a State Department official this June publicly
accused Iran of giving arms to the Taliban in Afghanistan, the US
commander of NATO forces there twice denied the claim.

   More recently, top brass have warned that the United States is not
prepared for new wars. Gen. George Casey, the Army's top commander,
recently made a highly unusual personal request for a House Armed
Services Committee hearing in which he warned that "we are consumed
with meeting the demands of the current fight and are unable to
provide ready forces as rapidly as necessary for other potential
contingencies." While this could surely be interpreted as a call for
more troops and resources, it may simultaneously be a warning shot
against adventures in Iran.

    An October 8 report by Tim Shipman in the Telegraph says that
Defense Secretary Robert Gates has "taken charge of the forces in the
American government opposed to a US military attack on Iran." He
cites Pentagon sources saying that Gates is waging "a subtle campaign
to undermine the Cheney camp" and that he is "encouraging the Army's
senior officers to speak frankly about the overstretch of forces, and
the difficulty of fighting another war." Shipman reports Gates has
"forged an alliance with Mike McConnell, the national director of
intelligence, and Michael Hayden, the head of the Central
Intelligence Agency, to ensure that Mr. Cheney's office is not the
dominant conduit of information and planning on Iran to Mr. Bush."

    Every indication is that the "war about the war" is ongoing.
Hersh recently reported that the attack-Iran faction has found a new
approach that it hopes will be more acceptable to the public--and
presumably to the Pentagon brass. Instead of broad bombing attacks
designed to eliminate Iran's nuclear capacity and promote regime
change, it calls for "surgical strikes" on Revolutionary Guard
facilities; they would be justified as retaliation in the "proxy war"
that General Petraeus alleges Iran is fighting "against the Iraqi
state and coalition forces in Iraq." According to Hersh, the revised
bombing plan is "gathering support among generals and admirals in the
Pentagon." But Israeli officials are concerned that such a plan might
leave Iran's nuclear capacity intact.

            Appeal to Principle

   The appeal for military personnel to resist an attack is primarily
based on principle. It asserts that any pre-emptive US attack on Iran
would be illegal under international law and a crime under US law.
Such an attack would violate Article II, Section 4, of the UN Charter
forbidding the threat or use of force against the territorial
integrity or political independence of any state. Since Iran has not
attacked the United States, an attack against it without
authorization by the Security Council would be a violation of
international law. Under the US Constitution and the UN Charter, this
is the law of the land. Under the military's own laws, armed forces
have an obligation to refuse orders that violate US law and the
Constitution. And under the principles established by the Nuremberg
War Crimes Tribunal after World War II, "just obeying orders" is no
defense for officials who participate in war crimes.

    But the petition also addresses some of the practical concerns
that have clearly motivated military officers to oppose an attack on
Iran. It would open US soldiers in Iraq to decimation by Iranian
forces or their Iraqi allies. It would sow the seeds of hatred for
generations. Like the attack on Iraq, it would create more enemies,
promote terrorism and make American families less safe.

  The petitioners recognize the potential risks of such action to
military personnel. "If you heed our call and disobey an illegal
order you could be falsely charged with crimes including treason. You
could be falsely court martialed. You could be imprisoned."

  But they also accept risks themselves, aware that "in violation of
our First Amendment rights, we could be charged under remaining
section of the unconstitutional Espionage Act or other
unconstitutional statute, and that we could be fined, imprisoned, or
barred from government employment."

  In ordinary times, peace activists would hardly be likely to turn
to the military as allies. Indeed, they would rightfully be wary of
military officers acting on their own, rather than those of their
civilian superiors--in violation of the Constitution's provisions for
civilian oversight of the military. But these are hardly ordinary
times. While the public is highly dubious of getting into another war
in the Middle East, there now appear to be virtually no institutional
barriers to doing so.

         Military-Civilian Alliance

         Is there a basis for cooperation between the military brass
and citizens who believe an attack on Iran would be criminal and/or
suicidal? Perhaps. The brass can go public with the truth and ask
Congress to provide a platform for explaining the real consequences
of an attack on Iran. They can call for a national debate that is not
manipulated by the White House. (They can also inform other players
of the consequences: tell Wall Street the effects on oil and stock
prices and tell European military and political leaders what it is
likely to mean in terms of terrorism.) The peace movement has already
forged an alliance with Iraq War veterans who oppose the war and with
high military officials who oppose torture; a tacit alliance with the
brass to halt an attack on Iran is a logical next step.

  Such an approach puts the problem of civilian control of the
military in a different light. The purpose of civilian control, after
all, is not to subject the military to the dictatorial control of one
man who may, at the least, express the foolishness and frailty that
all flesh is heir to. The purpose is to subject the military to the
control of democratic governance, which is to say of an informed
public and its representatives.

  What contribution can the peace movement make to this process? We
can cover military officials' backs when they speak out--no one is
better placed than the peace movement to defend them against Bushite
charges of defying civilian control. We can help open a forum for
military officers to speak out. Many retired officers have spoken out
publicly on the folly of the war in Iraq. We can use our venues in
universities and communities to invite them to speak out even more
forcefully on the folly of an attack on Iran. We can place ads
pointing out military resistance to an attack on Iran and featuring
warnings of its possible consequences from past and present military
officials. And we can encourage lawmakers to reach out to military
officials and offer to give them cover and a forum to speak out. Says
petition initiator Marcy Winograd, "I'd like to see peace activists
and soldiers sit down, break bread, march together, testify together
and forge a powerful union to end the next war before the
bloodletting begins."

   The peace movement leaders who appealed to the military had to
break through the conventional presumption that the brass were their
enemies in all situations. Such an unlikely alliance could be a
starting point for a nonviolent response to the Bush Administration's
pursuit of a permanent state of war.