[Marxism] Cuba: the litmus test?

mlause at cinci.rr.com mlause at cinci.rr.com
Tue Nov 27 04:39:46 MST 2007

Lüko Willms  called Cuba "today's version of 'the Russian question.'"

I probably don't disagree with Walter or Lüko on the nature of the Cuban state and society, insofar as I understand them.  Nevertheless, I am confused by the emphasis on this.   Do we face any situation globally today comparable to what transpired to that we faced in the wake of the Russian Revolution?  As far as that goes, did we actually face such a situation at the time comparable to what the Russians claimed we were facing?

Lüko added: "The 'litmus test' is not if you are ready to propagandize the views of the Cuban revolutionary leadership, but if you are ready to take the hand of the advanced post of the workers revolution which is Cuba, see and use it as a point of support and point of departure, an example that 'si, se puede', 'yes, another world is possible'. "

What does this mean in practical terms for people outside of Cuba?  How does this look any different on the ground than the militant defense of the right of self-determination by Cuba?  Or Venezuela?  Or Nicaragua?  Or Iraq?

How is this not placing an abstraction about somewhere else over the concrete requirements of building a movement where we are?

Solidarity!
Mark L.