[Marxism] Women in Iran and Saudi Arabia, and the lying media

Lueko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Sun May 18 01:48:31 MDT 2008

  The reflection of the big lie campaign against Myanmar these days
as well as Fred Feldman's answer about racism vs. sexism in the
"Democratic" POTUS primaries prompted me to relate these two items:

  In Saudi Arabia, as is well known, women do not have the right to
drive cars. What is less well known, and was news to me, is what I
heard on Friday on Aljazeera TV (in english; yeah! I now have that
via cable in my house!): every woman in Saudi Arabia must have a male
guardian, be it her father, husband, brother or son, or whatever, who
has to take all important decisions for her. Women are not allowed to
enter official buildings, so that they cannot even pick up a passport
herself (which her male guardian had to ask for), so that this has to
be done by her male guardian. Only recently, women have won the right
to lodge in a hotel by themselves, without the consent of her male
guardian, so that at least the affluent women can get an escape from
the male dominance and possibly violence at home.
> <http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/817BF731-F337-4192-AB3E-6C13E3CF7C4F.htm>

  But as we all know, the bourgeois media don't make a big fuss about
the situation of women in Saudi Arabia's absolute kingdom, but dwell
widely on the, oh, so heavy burden of oppression which weighs down on
women in Iran, were those bad people had deposed the "West's" buddy,
the Shah.

  Now, in Iran they have implemented affirmative action for access to
the universities, in order to get a better balance of male and female
students, and to avoid that women, who are already two thirds of all
university students, crowd out men completely from university
education.

  I heard the latter on the DLF[1] radio show on university education
and carreers a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I have no other sources.

Comradely yours,

Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main
/ Lueko.Willms at T-Online.de

[1] DLF = Deutschlandfunk, one of the two programs of
"Deutschlandradio", the nationwide public radio in Germany. All other
public radio stations have only regional coverage (except via
satellite and cable). <http://www.dradio.de>