[Marxism] Counterpunch joins the pro-Assad brigades

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Aug 5 17:44:25 MDT 2011

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 14:36:02 -0600
pinchy way <pinchyway at gmail.com> quoted:

> Anas Abdelrahim says, 'being anti-imperialist doesn't mean condoning
> atrocities

I much prefer Pinchy's vigorous mockery to this surreal
managerial talk about 'condoning'. A teacher might condone
misbehavior, an officer insubordination. But what's this
grandiose and fatuous notion that the likes of us could
'condone' something over which we have no control?

This is not, I think, just a question of language. There's
an implicit though perhaps unacknowledged assumption
carried with it that 'we' also, to some degree, participate
in the running of the Empire; and thus what we condone or
don't condone *makes a difference*. Say we don't condone
Assad. Well, maybe people whom Assad is treating badly could
end up better off as a result.  Hey, you never know!

Those Predator drones are just instrumentalities -- they
might be used for net good, or net evil. Suppose 'we' could
throw our modest weight into the balance?

Of course, our modest weight is zero, out to six
decimal places, on the Imperial spreadsheet. But this
schoolmarm vocabulary of 'condoning' suggests a persistent
delusion that we could have some kind of effect on events,
and we must use that power -- wait for it -- *responsibly*.

Don't condone! That prick Assad needs a spanky, even if the
only kind we personally can give him is a verbal one. One must
always be on the side of the angels -- or at  least, never on
the side of any devil.

--
--

Michael J. Smith