[Marxism] Counterpunch joins the pro-Assad brigades

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Aug 5 19:47:17 MDT 2011

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 21:04:25 -0400
Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> The sailboat-owning vice-president of the Ahmadinejad fan
> club lecturing an Iranian Marxist about the need to break with
> imperialism. Where's Brecht when you really need him.

Louis... really. You're a capable reader. This is
beneath you, even apart from the schoolboyish nyahh-
nyahh stuff about my hobbies.

Did I say anything about the "need to break with
imperialism?" Of course I didn't. The day I pen a
phrase like that, may my right hand forget its
cunning.

To restate: There are implications in this
vocabulary of American and European lefties
'condoning' what happens elsewhere that need
some serious unpacking. Concretely: what are
the implications, for whom, of what we 'condone'
and what we don't 'condone'? And how are those
implications to be realized?

This non-condoning of other people's badness
undoubtedly makes us feel virtuous. What else
does it do it the material world, to borrow a
phrase?

Does it do something good? All the better, if
so; but one would like to be shown how this
works. It's not obvious to me.

Does it lend even a fly's-weight of support to
the likes of Barry Obama and his various
humanitarian slaughter-fests? Probably not.
They don't need our help, or want it. So that
consideration throws no weight in the scales,
either way.

What it comes down to, as far as I can see, is
a need to feel virtuous.

There is, perhaps, no uglier human trait.

--
--

Michael J. Smith
mjs at smithbowen.net