[Marxism] Counterpunch joins the pro-Assad brigades

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Aug 6 11:13:11 MDT 2011

On Sat, 06 Aug 2011 12:17:25 -0400
Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> deplored:

>  the refusal of some on
> the left to support democratic struggles in countries that Nicholas
> Cristof writes op-eds against.

But again: what exactly does this 'support' mean? A willingness
to express hopes for their success, on a Marxist mailing list?

One might add that the vague phrase 'democratic struggles' begs a
number of questions. Doubtless there are plenty of honest
salt-of-the-earth people in Iran and Syria and Libya who are fed
up with their governments, for sensible reasons that are easy
enough to understand. But certainly in Libya there's plenty
of imperial involvement too. The Empire has been trying to roll
back the Iranian revolution ever since it happened, and surely
Israel and the US would prefer a more compliant regime in Syria
-- though I don't get invited to the meetings where
imperial strategy is worked out, admittedly.

Slapping a coat of 'democratic' whitewash over the whole
murky picture, including its very fishy reptile-fund elements,
seems like an exercise in self-stultification.

> Michael, you've said that 40 years ago you were a Maoist. Did you learn
> this kind of Stalinist thinking from when you were young

Oh, Louis. What a trip down Memory Lane. Who would have
thought that the odium-sectarium could yet spring green?
But you're not the only one on the list murmuring darkly
about 'Stalinists' under the bed.

You can't make this stuff up.

How we love to refight yesterday's wars, eh? Sometimes the
American left reminds me of nothing so much as Civil War
re-enacters, with their quaint facial foliage and the
scrupulously accurate insignia of long-disbanded regiments
on their tunics.

Tell you what, Louis: I'll go dance on Stalin's
grave if you'll go dance on Trotsky's. Deal?

--
--

Michael J. Smith
mjs at smithbowen.net