[Marxism] Protektor

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 6 15:13:48 MDT 2011

When I got the first press notice for “Protektor”, a Czech film about a
Christian husband and his Jewish wife trying to survive under Nazi
occupation, my first reaction was to pass it by. Although I didn’t think
much about it at the time, my hesitations no doubt reflected my distaste
for the typical “inspirational” melodrama like “Schindler’s List” as
well as how Zionism has appropriated this narrative to its own sordid aims.

After seeing “Protektor”, I can say that you are in store for some
completely groundbreaking cinema at Lincoln Plaza or Brooklyn Heights
Cinema where it opened yesterday. Director/Screenwriter Marek Najbrt has
not sought out heroic figures but flawed human beings instantly
recognizable as the kind who would be seated alongside you in the
theater or at the next desk at work. You cannot help but wondering as
you watch the drama unfold how you would have behaved in similar
circumstances.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2011/08/06/protektor/