[Marxism] Eric Foner review of new Robin Blackburn book on slavery

CallMe Ishmael llamadmeismael7 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 10:03:46 MDT 2011

Compare Greg Grandin's take:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jul/08/american-crucible-robin-blackburn-review

"But this new book, monumental though it is, shouldn't be read as a
culmination but rather a catching of breath, and a continuation of
arguments initially made by the great original theorists of the
Atlantic World system, Eric Williams, CLR James, and WEB Du Bois, who,
writing in the early 20th century, were among the first to stress the
importance of slavery in the creation of western culture and society."