[Marxism] Materialist History of Abraham Religions?

Einde O'Callaghan eindeoc at freenet.de
Sat Aug 13 18:28:48 MDT 2011

On 13.08.2011 23:48, Tristan Sloughter wrote:

> I was starting to look around for books on the creation of the Abraham myth
> and the religions based on it -- like how the Greek and Canaanite religions
> influenced the myths and how the Torah was pieced together by the various
> authors. As well as on the Eastern religion creations, since those I know
> the least about.
>
> I first ran into Max Weber, who I've never read any works of, and some of
> his stuff seems pretty interesting... He has a theory that the non-messianic
> religions of the East are what slowed their economic development towards
> capitalism. This is part of his argument against historical materialism for
> understanding the development of capitalism. Though it seems to me (based on
> a couple sentences on wikipedia I've read, haha, so I'm probably completely
> wrong) that he is actually giving support to Marx's dialectic by showing the
> religions of the East were support for the unique caste system they had,
> which slowed the development to capitalism, but I digress.
>
> Anyway... I thought this would be a good list to ask if anyone has
> suggestions on works to read and opinions on Max Weber's work on religion.

Karl Kautsky did some interesting things on religion: "Foundations of
Christianity" available online at
<http://www.marxists.org/archive/kautsky/1908/christ/index.htm> -
particularly Book 3 for the origins of the Jews and Judaism.

Another useful source is Paul N. Siegel, "The Meek and the Militant".

Einde O'Callaghan