[Marxism] Materialist History of Abraham Religions?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 13:22:19 MDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Tristan Sloughter <kungfooguru at gmail.com>wrote:

I believe C.S. Lewis has a quote where he says the figures who are similar
> to Jesus before Jesus were stories planted by the Devil... I don't know
> much
> about C.S. Lewis besides the little I read as a child and the BBC series
> but
> that seems unlikely for him to have believed, I wish I could find where I
> first heard this.

Are you perhaps thinking of Justin Martyr (
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0126.htm), or perhaps someone else inspired
by him? Lewis' perspective on the question, as far as I know, was that "the
story of Christ is simply a true myth; a myth working on us in the same way
as the others, but with this tremendous difference, that it really happened,
and one must be content to accept it in the same way, remembering that it is
God's Myth where the others are men's myths." And for a fellow who made all
sorts of myths his bread and butter, Lewis could hardly have held such a dim
view of any of them.

--
lytlað."