[Marxism] Hipsters abandon Obama

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 24 10:32:35 MDT 2011

http://www.observer.com/2011/08/o-bummer-hipsters-o-bandon-obama/

Hipster Runoff
O-Bummer! Hipsters O-Bandon Obama

Prez ditched by Pitchfork.com-wielding puerile politicos who
prefer Stumptown to stumping. ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO...Well,
it's not really clear right now.

By David Freedlander 9:47am

Illustration by Drew Friedman.

As Election Day 2008 approached, if you were an urban organic kale
farmer, or a crochet enthusiast or a vaudevillian with a new song
to sing, and you wanted to support Barack Obama for president, you
were in luck.

The streets of New York were crowded with “Walks for Change,”
“Bike4Barack” groups, “Karaoke We Can Believe In” sing-alongs,
“Get Out the Laughs and Votes” comedy shows and “Art for Change”
auctions. The days leading up to the election saw Pasties for
Peace, a Cowboys for Barack Wild West Burlesque Show Fund-raiser,
a Yo La Tengo fund-raiser at McCarren Pool, and a $1,000
fund-raiser in Dumbo featuring They Might Be Giants, which sold out.

Richie Fife, who helped lead the Obama effort in the run-up to the
primary, estimated that 10,000 New Yorkers had contacted his
office to get involved and that three times that many were out on
the streets on their own initiative.

“It was an amazing thing,” Mr. Fife said, and he recalled going
sometimes to five different events a night at various clubs,
houses and downtown galleries. “It was like going to an AA
meeting, except it was at a bar. You would have all these people
stand up and say sort of sheepishly, ‘I’ve never been involved in
politics but this time I am going to get involved.’ It was almost
like a religion.”

The Urban Dictionary called them “The Obaminators” (or, for the
females, “Obaminatrixes”) and despite a short lifetime of
political ignorance,  they helped create in 2007-08 a cultural
flourishing tied to electoral politics the likes of which the
dreary world of campaign canvassing had seldom seen. It is hard to
remember now, but the summer and fall of 2008 in the city were as
if an old-timey party convention had met Burning Man, and it
seemed like all the political clubs in town had been swept aside
in favor of open-mic nights from a generation of supposedly
apathetic and skeptical hipsters. They passed around Obama
speeches like they were bootlegged concert tapes. They carried
around dog-eared copies of The Audacity of Hope. They quoted the
2004 convention address like it was poetry. Even supposedly blasé
Williamsburg sported a Shepherd Fairy two-toned Obama poster, with
the word “Progress” stenciled in bold font below.

But now the progress posters have begun to wither. A new poster,
featuring the president’s image superimposed over Frankenstein’s
monster’s face, has been spotted around the neighborhood. The
Obama T-shirts—it was, recall, ultrahip if you had a particularly
faded one, maybe even one dating back to his Illinois state senate
campaigns—have been turning up at the Goodwill and at garage
sales. The next election is going to be a tough one that invites a
question few campaign officials thought would ever be asked: Can
Mr. Obama afford to lose the hipsters? Or was the Obama love last
year’s record, now destined to wind up in the used bins alongside
so many Conor Oberst CD’s?

“Everybody was taking the campaign’s energy and saying, ‘Hey, I’m
a part of this obscure group of citizens, maybe we can raise
$5,000 or $10,000 or whatever,” said novelist Amy Sohn, who held a
couple of “Authors for Obama” fund-raisers at downtown clubs
featuring big name writers like Colson Whitehead and Jonathan
Lethem. “At a certain point it was like wink-wink—there are some
really bizarre fringe groups around.”

Ms. Sohn didn’t sound inclined to enlist her literary brethren
again, comparing the Obama presidency to a first novelist who
signs a big advance for their roman à clef.

“The best day is the day you get the advance, and then everyone
wonders if you were worth it and whether or not you will earn the
advance back, which of course, you probably won’t. Then you just
become the person everyone paid too much for.”

As the election season approached, David Mahfouda, 29, tied an art
project he had been working on to the Obama effort. “Mending Bee
for Change,” enlisted dozens of supporters to help sew a
65-foot-by-130-foot American flag. He had been, he said, “not so
political, and not so good at being informed,” but he saw that all
of the rhetoric he had been hearing about restoring and repairing
the country was “embodied by this living and breathing person.”

Supporters sponsored stars and pieces of fabric, proceeds from
which went to the Obama campaign. On election night, they braved
the November cold and carried the flag from Bed-Stuy and over the
Williamsburg Bridge and unfurled it in Union Square, meeting up
with a group a hundred or so people who had planned a previctory
parade from Brooklyn to Manhattan.

Mr. Mahfouda said that the flag is now in his living room and
hasn’t been unfurled in over a year. There are no immediate plans
to bring it back out again for 2012.

“My intuitive response is that [Obama] hasn’t done a ton,” he
said. “He hasn’t really rocked the boat too much.”

The parade was organized by a fellow Brooklynite, Julian Bennet
Holmes, then only 17 and too young to actually vote for Mr. Obama.
Besides the march, he phone-banked for the candidate during the
primaries.

Now, he said, “I’ll vote for him, but I think that he could be a
little tougher”

Will there be a parade next time around?

“I haven’t really thought about it. A re-election campaign
definitely won’t be as exciting.”

Kimberly Salib, the proprietor of Art Gotham in Soho, asked 300
artists to make a 12-inch-by-12-inch work of art inspired by the
election, and auctioned the pieces off in the fall of 2008. She is
not planning on trying again either.

“I kind of lost my passion for it all, to be honest with you,” she
said. Since the election, she has been audited, and a shaky
economy and lack of support for galleries like hers “has made me
totally uninterested. I am no longer excited about doing these
things.”

Among Obaminators, some moments from the run-up to the election
live on memory. They are like this generation’s Woodstock, with
those who remember what it was like outnumbering those who
actually experienced it.

At a spring benefit at the Hope Lounge in Williamsburg, the
hip-hop artist Toothpick performed, slam poetry was slammed, and a
stenciling station was set-up outside. Nearly 300 people paid $10
to get in the door, all of which went to the campaign. Colette
Whitney and James Johnson, a biracial married couple, performed
what audience members remembered as a song-and-dance vaudevillian
number that went, “We’re Ready/Right Now/To Fight For/ Obama.”

“It was an exciting time,” recalled Ari Herstand, a
singer-songwriter who performed there and who said that the long
campaign’s numerous benefit concerts gave his music career a
boost. “Everyone was totally amped up and energized. Spirits were
high. There was this electrifying energy that night, and in
general—everyone was excited to be a part of this movement.”

Asked if he expects a similarly full dance card this time around,
Mr. Herstand replied, “No way.”

“That time we felt that Obama was more or less this outsider, this
new young proponent for change, and he really engaged the younger,
20-something crowd, and we felt that this was someone very
different, someone that was kind of an intelligent, amicable
leader that we could get behind.”

And now?

“It’s hard to get everyone to rally back around him this time. We
see mild victories here and there, but it’s not the complete
overhaul we were expecting.”

The event at Hope Lounge was organized by a young artist who goes
by the name Gadi. Early in 2008, he met up with 30 or so other
creative types at a bar in Alphabet City and had the idea of
do-it-yourself stencil T-shirts for the campaign.

After the Hope Lounge show, he was doing some Obama-inspired
stenciling in the East Village one evening for another revuelike
fund-raiser when a young filmmaker named Annie Woods came up to
him and said, “Those are super rad. Can I buy some off of you?”

Ms. Woods and her sister had covered their Volvo station wagon
from bumper to bumper with Obama bumper stickers, and the two
ended up driving something they called “The Bama Bus,” a Vanagon
likewise covered in Obama stickers, across the country, setting up
stenciling stations along the way.

Gadi would like to get involved again but said it will be
hard-going to get other artistically inclined members of his
generation to sign on.

“It’s going to be impossible to recreate that moment,” he said.
“People’s memories are very short.”

He recited for The Observer a song he had written for 2012 effort.

“The system is broke and they all promised to fix it/I’m tired of
that joke, wish I still believed it/If we are the ones we’ve been
waiting for/Then why are we waiting for something more?”

A number of new political organizations arose in the wake of the
’08 effort, trying to keep the spirit of the season alive for the
next round of local elections and hopefully, they thought, beyond.

The New Kings Democrats formed in North Brooklyn with the task of
electing Obamalike reformers to local offices. In 2010, they
propelled one of their own to a post with the Brooklyn Democratic
Party.  The Barack Obama Democratic Club still stands in
Washington Heights, and its founder, Mark Levine, said that it
remains active heading into the 2012 season. But most of the
organizing groups are a shell of what they were three years ago.

Brooklyn for Barack, a clearing house of all things Obama-related,
tried to keep the energy up with community service fairs and the
like, but has mostly withered away. Its founder, Jordan Thomas, a
40-year-old filmmaker, declined repeated requests for an
interview, saying he was in preproduction. Others, like New
Yorkers for Change, are little more than un-updated websites.

“You had people not from the political chattering class, and they
all had different sorts of contacts, different social networks and
professional networks and that is what was utilized,” said one
former campaign official. “And people going out and getting
activities together created buzz, and one thing spawned another.”

Those inside and outside the Obama youth movement say that the
conditions of 2008 are not replicable this time around, regardless
of how the first three years of the Obama administration have
gone. Then you had a generation of people weaned on the Bush
years, war and the Patriot Act. When a thoughtful and cool
biracial candidate came along, it was hard not to get swept up in
it. A dash of naïveté, of the kind that believed “We are the ones
we’ve been waiting for” could be an actual policy platform, helped
too.

“We were coming of age in middle school and high school in era of
fear and war,” said Gadi, the artist behind the Hope Lounge
benefit. “Some of us had come of age and were still dealing with
it, and there weren’t many of us who knew what politics was like
or what government was like or certainly what governing was.
Everybody thought everything would be fixed the next day.”

The skill of the Obama team was a factor as well, using social
media to turn the campaign into political mixer for the
postcollegiate set. They built on a lot of what the Howard Dean
campaign had done in 2004. But whereas the Dean effort was mostly
online, the Obama team used online organizing tools to get people
to meet off-line.

“We didn’t have YouTube,” said Joe Trippi, Mr. Dean’s online
organizing guru in 2004. “By the time Barack Obama started there
were a hundred million people watching stuff on YouTube.”

Mr. Trippi doesn’t anticipate a fall-off in excitement for the
president among the younger set this time around.

“The newness and the excitement is gone, and it would be hard to
rekindle just because of the historic nature of the election,” he
said. “But it’s definitely still there. Talk to me if Michelle
Bachmann is the Republican nominee; then  you’ll see how fired up
everyone will be.”

Still, as Mr. Trippi acknowledges, an incumbent is never as much
fun. Plus, this time around, those who jumped on the bandwagon
early say that they expect “the pros” to take over in 2012. The
local elected officials who backed Hillary Rodham Clinton in the
primaries have come to toe the party line, and those who passed
out homemade cookies at polling sites in early 2008 say they
expect to be shunted to the side. Life interferes too. One-time
round-the-clock volunteers have to take full-time jobs. Children
are born and parents become ill. Galleries get audited.

“The real power [of 2008] was giving people the tools to organize
themselves, and then you had all of these self-forming groups,”
said Mr. Fife. “It’s very different [now.] Now you have the power
of being in the White House. It is going to take longer.”

Obama 2012 operatives say that they think that the lightning of
2008 can be bottled again. To those who say Mr. Obama hasn’t done
much, they point to the health care overhaul, the stimulus, the
ending of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. They point to a summer organizing
program that has 12,000 applicants for 1,700 slots. Wait until the
Republicans settle on a nominee. See how you like the thought of
Mitt Romney in the Oval Office, and see, young gallerist, if you
aren’t organizing another auction in spite of yourself.

“In 2008 we had unprecedented grass-roots support from young
people across the country,” said Clo Ewing, a campaign
spokeswoman. “On college campuses and cities across the country
they mobilized to elect President Obama and we are seeing the same
enthusiasm for 2012 evidenced by the thousands of young people who
recently applied for our Summer Organizing program.”

Some are already gearing up again.

Matt Walters started volunteering for the campaign in April 2007,
soon after Mr. Obama announced that he was running. By the fall,
he was selling “Obamulkes,” Obama-inspired yarmulkes. He met his
wife in New York headquarters. He is ready to go back out on the
trail again.

“I get the sense that people of this generation are still excited
about the president,” he said. “He’s just not new any more. He’s
no longer a blank slate. He is going to have to run on his record,
and he hasn’t even been campaigning. He’s been running the country
and killing Osama bin Laden.”

dfreedlander at observer.com