[Marxism] A telling quote

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 24 12:18:18 MDT 2011

On 8/24/2011 2:12 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:
> I'm not sure if you count me as one of those - my position is certainly
> distinguishable from that of the WWP or PSL, although I haven't harped on
> our differences - but to the extent that I qualify, my response is that it
> could hardly matter less. Once superpowers gain a foothold, the positions of
> those on the ground cease to carry much weight, absent years of protracted
> struggle. To go back to my previous example of Gaza, the government and
> every armed faction here are militantly anti-Zionist, yet somehow the
> territory is still occupied by Zionism. That's just what happens when you
> put Kalashnikovs and homemade rockets up against F-16s and Predator drones.
> And while those handling the former might have the purest of intentions, the
> dynamics and outcome of the match aren't moral questions.

What the hell are you talking about? Gaza is virtually a bandustan
while Libya is a major oil producer. If Western oil companies
begin to invest heavily, that will mark nothing but a return to
the status quo ante. One thing that Libya needed was a break from
the stranglehold Qaddafi had on politics and "civil society". I am
not going to bother tracking down the article, since I am sure it
would not assuage you, but the NYT reported a virtual media
explosion in Benghazi. This is not to be sneered at.