[Marxism] After The Big Gaddafi - Welcome to Libya's 'democracy' by Pepe Escobar

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 25 12:29:53 MDT 2011

On 8/25/2011 2:12 PM, Ralph Johansen wrote:
> Ethnic and tribal trouble is bound to explode. Many of the Berbers
> from the Western mountains, who entered Tripoli from the south
> this past weekend, are hardcore Salafis. Same with the Muslim
> Brotherhood/Salafi nebula from Cyrenaica, which has been
> instructed by US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) boots on the
> ground. As much as these fundamentalists "used" the Europeans and
> the Americans to get close to power, they may become a nasty
> guerrilla force if they are marginalized by the new NATO masters.

Sounds like Escobar has been reading his Samuel Huntington.

> A large Benghazi-based "revolution" sold to the West as a popular
> movement was always a myth. Only two months ago the armed
> "revolutionaries" barely numbered 1,000. NATO's solution was to
> build a mercenary army - including all sorts of unsavory types,
> from former Colombian death squad members to recruiters from Qatar
> and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), who pinched scores of
> unemployed Tunisians and tribals disgruntled with Tripoli. All
> these on top of the CIA mercenary squad - Salafis in Benghazi and
> Derna - and the House of Saud squad - the Muslim Brotherhood gang.

Does Ralph Johansen really believe this tripe? In 1996 2000
prisoners were murdered by Qaddafi's gendarmes. On February 15,
2011 the lawyer for the families of the slain prisoners who was
trying to gain some justice was arrested. This led to the
uprising. Frankly, I would love to see people like Escobar and
Michel Chussodovsky spend some time in such prisons under the
control of one of their anti-imperialist heroes for a month or two
with rats biting their ankles in the middle of the night. That
might cure them of their crypto-Stalinism.

> It's hard not to be reminded of the UCK drug gang in Kosovo - the
> war NATO "won" in the Balkans. Or of the Pakistanis and Saudis,
> with US backing, arming the "freedom fighters" of Afghanistan in
> the 1980s.

Frankly, I am reminded more of the Daily Worker circa 1938.

> So the big winners in the end are London, Washington, the House of
> Saud and the Qataris (they sent jets and "advisers", they are
> already handling the oil sales). With a special mention for the
> compound Pentagon/NATO - considering that Africom will finally set
> up its first African base in the Mediterranean, and NATO is one
> step closer to declaring the Mediterranean "a NATO lake".

Does this fucking idiot still buy into the AFRICOM bullshit? Here,
let me disabuse him:

http://www.africom.mil/getArticle.asp?art=3080

U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Boutwell Arrives in Tubruq, Libya
Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Europe-U..S. Naval Forces Africa

To read more about the Libyan delegation’s visit to U.S. Africa
Command, visit http://www.africom.mil/getArticle.asp?art=3486&lang=0.

U.S. Africa Command waited to publish the transcript until the
article appeared in Al Musellh magazine.

The Arabic version of the transcript is posted at:
http://www.africom.mil/file.asp?pdfID=20091215182659.

The complete English transcript of the interview is available below:

COL. MOHAMED: First thing I would like to ask you about: During
your last visit to Libya, you have met with our leader al-Qaddafi.
We would like to ask about, what’s your impression of the leader
Muammar al-Qaddafi? How was your meeting with him? And what are
the results of that visit?

GEN. WILLIAM E. WARD: Okay, well, during my last visit to Tripoli
I had a very good meeting with the Leader. He and I were able to
talk about my command; we were able to give him some thoughts on
the United States Africa Command and what the command is about.
And I think because of that, we gave him additional information
that enabled him to have a better understanding of the command.

It was explained to him that we were there not to threaten the
sovereignty of any nation; that we were there to work in close
cooperation but only among those things that the nations wanted us
to do. And to all of those purposes, it was about trying to
enhance the stability and the security of the nations that we work
with — North Africa, as well as the entire continent of Africa.

I think the Leader was happy to hear that; I think he had a
greater understanding following our conversation and he
appreciated the information that I gave him about the command. And
I think we also discussed issues that concern security matters in
Africa and how we look forward to working together in ways that
help us achieve those common objectives for peace and stability.
And I think the leader was appreciate of that as well, and I told
him that I was committing myself to working as closely as we could
where our foreign policy permitted those relationships; working
with the nations, working with the regions, working with the
African Union. And the leader was appreciative of that, as well.

So we had a very good meeting. It was a cordial meeting, it was a
friendly meeting and it was one that I certainly appreciated very
well to have the opportunity to spend time with him to talk about
those things that were important to both of us in the cause of peace.

COL. MOHAMED: Okay, because we see a deep understanding. Do you
expect another visit to be done in the near future or something
like that?

GEN. WARD: Well, I don’t know. In the last six months I’ve already
had two visits to Libya, and you are here, and so I think that as
we continue to move forward we will have the opportunity for more
visits to be sure.

Source: AFRICOM Public Affairs
IMET Program 2008 US Africa Command- Libya in article
http://www.africom.mil/fetchBinary.asp?pdfID=20091019124205