[Marxism] Israelis chant 'Jews and Arabs refuse to be enemies'

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 17:18:39 MDT 2011

Thanks for posting this Tristan.  I had been thinking about writing a piece
on this movement along the lines of how the tents of Israel have not turned
out to be so goodly after all.  I am happy though that the movement is still
alive.

Of course I agree fully with those who have analysed the limitations of a
movement for social justice which does not confront Zionism. I also
understand and sympathize with the scorn of the dispossessed - the
Palestinians.  The BDS movement must continue and gather apace, and operate
totally independently of the Social Justice movement among the Israelis.

Nonetheless the sight of young people chanting "Jews and Arabs refuse to be
enemies" is heartening.

What is most significant I think is that the attacks on Gaza though brutal
and bloody stopped short of an all out military offensive and that Netanyahu
would need to state publicly that the political conjuncture ruled out such
an option.  It's the Egyptian revolution, stupid.  Are we finally getting
close to the fruition of Deutscher's prediction to Ben Gurion - "Mann kann
sich tot siegen".  Let us hope so.

comradely

Gary