[Marxism] Gilbert Achcar interview

Greg McDonald gregmc59 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 07:32:16 MDT 2011

I posed the same question on the NLP website, and here is their response:

Independent numbers of dead and injured in the conflict have still not
been made available. Estimates have been widely varied.
On 24 February 2011, the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting
reported that the International Criminal Court estimated 10,000 had
been killed.[193] The numbers of injured were estimated to be around
4,000 by 22 February.[194]
On 2 March, the World Health Organization estimated approximately
2,000 killed.[195] At the same time, the opposition claimed that 6,500
people had died.[196] Later, rebel spokesman Abdul Hafiz Ghoga
reported that the death toll reached 8,000.[197]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_uprising#Casualties

One must note the widely divergent numbers, and the fact that Achcar
picked the most inflated count.

Greg