[Marxism] Gilbert Achcar interview

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 28 07:50:24 MDT 2011

On 28/08/2011 14:32, Greg McDonald wrote:
> I posed the same question on the NLP website, and here is their response:
>
> Independent numbers of dead and injured in the conflict have still not
> been made available. Estimates have been widely varied.
> On 24 February 2011, the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting
> reported that the International Criminal Court estimated 10,000 had
> been killed.[193] ...
>
> One must note the widely divergent numbers, and the fact that Achcar
> picked the most inflated count.

This is the article referred to:

"The informed sources of the International Criminal Court, on Wednesday
night, reported on the continuation of massacre of Libyan people by
Muammar Gaddafi's military forces, putting the death toll in recent days
at 10,000 people."

<http://english.irib.ir/news/political/item/71535-death-toll-in-libyan-popular-uprising-at-10000>

That article is from 1 week into the revolt.  Here's another article
giving a bit more context, re those informed sources:

"There are at least 10,000 dead and 50,000 wounded in Libya, according
to reports by Al Arabiya on Twitter quoting a member of the
International Criminal Court. The death toll was reportd by the Libyan
member of the ICC, Sayed al Shanuka, who was interviewed from Paris."

<http://www.ansamed.it/en/libia/news/ME.XEF93179.html>

This figure comes from a Libyan employee of the ICC who wasn't based in
Libya.  Sayed al Shanuka is the sole original source of this estimate.
As far as I know, the ICC itself has made no statement on the number of
deaths.