[Marxism] Libya -- report on alleged rebel war crimes from the Independent

Fred Feldman ffeldman at verizon.net
Mon Aug 29 06:36:07 MDT 2011

Louis wrote:
It is very bad that such things are happening but comrades should never
forget that Qaddafi created the environment for racism.

Fred comments:
Yes,  I think I understand.  Gadhafi bears complete and sole
responsibility for any racist discrimination or chauvinist prejudice
that took place in the past  (We can all be sure that there were no
manifestations of racism or chauvinism in the past history of Libya
under the monarchy or colonial rule).  Gadhafi has the exclusive patent
on creation of the environment for racism in Libya in either past or
future centuries..

Gadhafi bears sole and exclusive responsibility for anything bad that
happened in Libya for the last thousand years or happens for the next
thousand years.  This kind of  argument -- the presentation of a
clipping showing Gadhafi did such and such as effectively explaining
away the opposition doing the same thing -- is bound to grow very  old
before too long.

If they sell out completely to imperialism, why that's Gadhafi's fault
for having done the same sort of thing. (The most hopeful sign I see so
far in that department is the refusal to turn over the alleged Lockerbie
bomber, but whether the incoming regime will stand up under pressure on
this remains to be seen.)

If they give away the oil industry, why Gadhafi did something like that
too -- so that takes the opposition off the hook. Gadhafi and he alone
"created the environment" for imperialist domination in Libya. The
opposition therefore bears no responsibility therefore for anything they
do in this regard. Its all Gadhafi's fault.

If the regime turns out to be less democratic than promised -- Gadhafi's
to blame again for having ruled undemocratically. He is the sole and
exclusive creator of  "the environment."\

If prisoners are tortured or otherwise mistreated, Gadhafi is solely
responsible because he created "the environment" for this. While at
present the dominant feature is the release of many abused prisoners, we
should keep in mind that the National Transitional Council has barred
human rights groups from access to supposedly pro-Gadhafi prisoners in
Benghazi, of whom there seem to be quite a few.

I think we will all be in a better place when this shallow explanation
for why the opposition does bad things fades away and reponsibility for
crimes is placed on the actual perpetrator -- present tense, whether
Gadhafi government or NTC. We should all be ready to recognize that the
NTC now bears considerable (although not yet exclusive) responsibility
for whether the Libyan environment  remains the same or changes for
better for worse.

Gadhafi's criminal career is winding down, and we should not be
responsible for creating the environment in which he can serve as the
scapegoat for whatever goes wrong today or in the future.
Fred Feldman`