[Marxism] Pepe Escobar: How Al Qaeda got to rule in Tripoli

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 31 11:34:00 MDT 2011

On 8/31/2011 12:49 PM, Joaquín Bustelo wrote:
> Abdelhakim Belhaj, aka Abu Abdallah al-Sadek, is a Libyan jihadi.
> Born in May 1966, he honed his skills with the mujahideen in the
> 1980s anti-Soviet jihad in Afghanistan.
>
> He's the founder of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG) and
> its de facto emir - with Khaled Chrif and Sami Saadi as his
> deputies....
>
> [full here: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/MH30Ak01.html]

Does Joaquin read the archives? If he did, he would know that the
same tripe has been sent by Ralph Johansen already. One wonders
why or how people fall out of love with jihadists. A study of that
would be most salutary, I am sure. Here is Joaquin only six years
ago arguing why it is okay to target noncombatants in Iraq:

http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism/2005-January/026070.html

> At any rate, the tactics being followed by the guerrillas in Iraq are
> largely a function of their politico-military situation as their commanders
> understand it. And they do not seem to me to be blatantly counterproductive
> or off the wall.
>
> I know some people will feel shocked that even "civilian" employees of the
> U.S. military occupation regime are targets. Remember all the outrage over
> the targeting of international "humanitarian" occupation helpers? Whatever
> else may be said about it, it must be admitted that the approach WORKED. All
> the do-gooder NGO riff-raff who were quite cluelessly helping to shore up
> the imperialist military occupation under the guise of "humanitarianism" are
> now gone. And the CIA agents have had to come up with different cover
> stories.

One imagines, of course, if Qaddafi organizes "revolutionary"
brigades using the same kinds of tactics, Joaquin will no doubt
persuade us of the wisdom.

Pepe Escobar, on the other hand, has been an enemy of radical
Islamists all along so at least has the merit of being consistent,
even if his consistency is based on bullshit politics.