[Marxism] A nightmare on the brains of the living

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 31 17:36:32 MDT 2011

On 31/08/2011 23:35, Louis Proyect wrote:
> I take your points. I wrote the post in between loading databases and
> was in a bit of a rush. At any rate, I do think it is fair to regard
> your analysis as deeply pessimistic, excluding any favorable
> developments in Libya.

I personally am deeply pessimistic about this, but I would say it's
over-stating it to say I exclude any favourable developments.  Even a
pro-imperialist regime with moderately democratic features could improve
on the last in many ways, and might give people a space to organise.
The trouble as I see it is that too much hope is being placed on a
highly divided collection of rebel factions.  Not insignificantly, the
rebel movement has no left-wing to speak of, the conservative ruling
class elements are dominant, and there's the small matter of racist
'revenge' killings.  Moreover, the divisions seem to be far more about
fiefdoms and rivalries than popular demands.  One thing I may be eating
my words about shortly is the post-war stabilisation that I anticipated
- there are potential ingredients for a civil war here.