[Marxism] Fwd: Squishy Sentience - Los Angeles Review of Books

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Aug 5 05:26:51 MDT 2017

Godfrey-Smith is intrigued by the octopus for some of the same reasons I
like studying insects: they force me to throw away the crutch of close
evolutionary affiliation that primatologists rely upon. Octopuses are
like us, but they raise the question of how, and perhaps more
interesting, why they are like us. Assuming we are both conscious, it is
virtually impossible to suppose we inherited that quality from a common
ancestor — we were last linked hundreds of millions of years ago, with
many forebears in between who have the sentience of a breadbox. The
octopus forces us to consider how the mind comes to be, separate from
its existence in humans. In short, Other Minds doesn’t use the octopus
merely as an excuse to talk about people, though to be sure it helps us
understand the possible meaning of consciousness in both species.

full: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/squishy-sentience