[Marxism] Fwd: Donald and Ivana Trump's Divorce: The Full Story | Vanity Fair

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 16 05:37:50 MDT 2017

Although Fred Trump was born in New Jersey, family members say he felt
compelled to hide his German background because most of his tenants were
Jewish. “After the war, he thought that Jews would never rent from him
if they knew his lineage,” Ivana reportedly said. Certainly, Fred
Trump’s camouflage could easily convey to a child the impression that in
business anything goes. When I asked Donald Trump about this, he was
evasive: “Actually, it was very difficult. My father was not German; my
father’s parents were German . . . Swedish, and really sort of all over
Europe . . . and I was even thinking in the second edition of putting
more emphasis on other places because I was getting so many letters from
Sweden: Would I come over and speak to Parliament? Would I come meet
with the president?”

Donald Trump appears to take aspects of his German background seriously.
John Walter works for the Trump Organization, and when he visits Donald
in his office, Ivana told a friend, he clicks his heels and says, “Heil
Hitler,” possibly as a family joke.

Last April, perhaps in a surge of Czech nationalism, Ivana Trump told
her lawyer Michael Kennedy that from time to time her husband reads a
book of Hitler’s collected speeches, My New Order, which he keeps in a
cabinet by his bed. Kennedy now guards a copy of My New Order in a
closet at his office, as if it were a grenade. Hitler’s speeches, from
his earliest days up through the Phony War of 1939, reveal his
extraordinary ability as a master propagandist.

“Did your cousin John give you the Hitler speeches?” I asked Trump.

Trump hesitated. “Who told you that?”

“I don’t remember,” I said.

“Actually, it was my friend Marty Davis from Paramount who gave me a
copy of Mein Kampf, and he’s a Jew.” (“I did give him a book about
Hitler,” Marty Davis said. “But it was My New Order, Hitler’s speeches,
not Mein Kampf. I thought he would find it interesting. I am his friend,
but I’m not Jewish.”)

Later, Trump returned to this subject. “If I had these speeches, and I
am not saying that I do, I would never read them.”

Is Ivana trying to convince her friends and lawyer that Trump is a
crypto-Nazi? Trump is no reader or history buff. Perhaps his possession
of Hitler’s speeches merely indicates an interest in Hitler’s genius at
propaganda. The Führer often described his defeats at Stalingrad and in
North Africa as great victories. Trump continues to endow his
diminishing world with significance as well. “There’s nobody that has
the cash flow that I have,” he told The Wall Street Journal long after
he knew better. “I want to be king of cash.”

full:
https://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2015/07/donald-ivana-trump-divorce-prenup-marie-brenner