[Marxism] Fwd: How ‘Antifa’ Mirrors the ‘Alt-Right’ - Truthdig: Expert Reporting, Current News, Provocative Columnists - Truthdig: Expert Reporting, Current News, Provocative Columnists

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 28 05:56:33 MDT 2017

(Chris Hedges vamps down on the adventurists but not with complete
clarity, I'm afraid. He cites Sophia Burns, a former editor of the North
Star website who was brought aboard by Curtis Hanson, another former
editor, who is a die-hard punch a Nazi in the face guy. Thankfully, the
current editorial board is made up of mass action oriented comrades.)

The focus on street violence diverts activists from the far less
glamorous building of relationships and alternative institutions and
community organizing that alone will make effective resistance possible.
We will defeat the corporate state only when we take back and empower
our communities, as is happening with Cooperation Jackson, a grass-roots
cooperative movement in Jackson, Miss. As long as acts of resistance are
forms of personal catharsis, the corporate state is secure. Indeed, the
corporate state welcomes this violence because violence is a language it
can speak with a proficiency and ruthlessness that none of these groups
can match.

“Politics isn’t made of individuals,” Sophia Burns writes in “Catharsis
Is Counter-Revolutionary.” “It’s made of classes. Political change
doesn’t come from feeling individually validated. It comes from
collective action and organization within the working class. That means
creating new institutions that meet our needs and defend against
oppression.”

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/antifa-mirrors-alt-right/