[EvoPsycLab] April 23

BRUCE J. ELLIS bruce.ellis at psych.utah.edu
Wed Apr 10 13:52:32 MDT 2019

Dear all,

We scheduled our next EP meeting for April 23 at 4pm.  I'm not sure that the location has been determined. I could potentially host.

At the meeting yesterday, there seemed to be a convergence of interest in studying life history (LH) strategies, including collaborating on empirical studies.  There are some hot-button current issues in the study of LH strategies, and engaging those issues could be a productive way to identify important empirical questions to address.  Along those lines, I have attached various papers.

1. There is a big debate about how to define and measure LH strategy.  Please read first that attached paper by Copping et al., the response by Figueredo et al., and my peer review of the Figueredo paper.  The editor allowed Figueredo to publish his response without dealing with any of my critiques.

2.  A nice recent literature has developed comparing more traditional external prediction models of LH strategy with an alternative (mostly complementary) internal prediction approach.  I have attached a paper that articulates that perspective (Rickard et al., 2014), and also my PPT slides with a test of the model.

Best,
Bruce

_____________________________
Bruce J. Ellis, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology and Anthropology
Hidden Talents Lab<https://hiddentalents.psych.utah.edu/>
Research Network on Adaptations to Childhood Stress<http://psych.utah.edu/research/labs/research-network.php>
Developmental Adaptations, Stress, and Health (DASH)<http://dash.csbs.utah.edu/index.php> Collaborative

Department of Psychology