[Fcs-faculty] IPIA International Position Recruitment

Robert Mayer Robert.Mayer at fcs.utah.edu
Tue Sep 12 16:53:04 MDT 2006

Dear Colleagues,

As you know, the University has established a new institute centered
around public policy (IPIA) and two senior faculty are being recruited
in any of several disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences.  I
am the chair of the recruitment committee that is seeking a scholar
whose work bears on international aspects of public policy in areas such
as health, environment, conflict management, and the like. This is a
great opportunity to add a highly visible scholar to our department's
faculty.

Now is a critical time in the search process, and I need your assistance
in generating a strong pool of applicants for the position, especially
people who would want to be based in our department. To that end, I am
attaching two versions of the job description.  Please send these
descriptions to people who might (a) be interested in the position
themselves or (b) know of others who might be interested.  Emails often
don't get to their intended recipient, so please follow up at least some
of your emails with a phone call.  Realistically, the only way to shake
loose a senior scholar is to make a personal pitch to him or her.  If
you have someone in mind but don't feel comfortable contacting that
person, give me that person's contact information and I will follow up
on your suggestion.

/Please don't delay/.  Our search committee is having a meeting a week
from Friday the 22nd, and I hope to be able to report that our
department has at least generated some leads and, ideally, spoken to a
few potential candidates.  A week from now, I'll check back to see what
you have accomplished.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please share them with me.

Thanks,
Rob