[Fcs-faculty] FW: Koch Foundation and Marriner Eccles Institute: Statement of Concern

Lori Kowaleski-Jones lori.kowaleski-jones at fcs.utah.edu
Sun Jul 30 16:44:32 MDT 2017

Hi All,

I just received this from Mark Button (chair of political science).  I wanted to make you aware of this statement of concern.  In case you haven't heard about this development on campus, please see the link to the story in the sltrib as well as an editorial in the Deseret news and a response from Cindy Berg and Norm Waitzman (just coming on as new chair of econ).

Story in Trib:
See: http://www.sltrib.com/news/5528512-155/koch-brothers-and-eccles-family-to

Editorial in deseret news:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865685146/In-our-opinion-New-U-institute-welcomes-pluralistic-perspectives-on-economics.html

and the counter from our college...
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865685449/Op-ed-The-hallmark-of-the-Us-Department-of-Economics-is-its-commitment-to-competing-perspectives.html

Be happy to engage in conversation about this issue.

Lori

Lori Kowaleski-Jones

Professor and Chair, Department of Family and Consumer Studies
University of Utah
225 south, 1400 East
225 Alfred Emery Building
Salt Lake City Utah 84112-0080