[Fcs-faculty] materials for faculty meeting next week

Lori Kowaleski-Jones lori.kowaleski-jones at fcs.utah.edu
Thu Jan 3 06:07:49 MST 2019

Hi All,

I hope that you are having a chance to relax over the break.  Following up on our discussion at the December faculty meeting, I wanted to pass along some materials for discussion at the January meeting.

1.      An updated ERIP document and Sociology's research incentive document.  The leadership team (Russ, Jessie and Dan) and I have been discussing changes to our ERIP policy.  We also reviewed and really liked parts of the Sociology document, which I also attach to this email.  The major changes include:

a.      Following sociology approach by having a committee review erip documents and making recommendations to the chair in the spring

b.      Instituting a warning year option for any increases to teaching

c.      Changing the incentive award to money over course buyout to stimulate more grant submissions (and awards!)

2.      Updated RPT document, separate document with the highlighted suggested changes and Psychology's RPT document.  In the fall, I convened a committee (Barb, Sonia, Kevin and Armando) to review our RPT document and suggest changes.  Barb presented on this at the  December faculty meeting.  The majors suggested changes include:

a.      Strongly encourage research funding for RPT

b.      Transparency of review procedures

c.      External reviewer clarity

d.      How to handle joint appointments.

3.      Relationship policy document that was passed recently at the university level.  This is an information item.  I can provide more context at the January 10th faculty meeting.
Regarding TFR,  we need to revisit our policy in relation to university changes.  We will tackle this also but we need to discuss erip and rpt documents first in January meeting.  Things in particular to attend to include:

*        Changing the review committee structure.  At present, what we do as a department is out of step with all of the other departments in our college.

*        Consider the value and timing of outside reviewers.

At the meeting next week,  we will discuss the proposed changes to the RPT and ERIP documents.  Also, remember we should have our syllabi available to students at this point for our spring classes.  Also, please determine your office hours and let the front office know so that they can let students know about when they are contacted about them.

Thanks very much!

Lori

Lori Kowaleski-Jones
Professor and Chair, Department of Family and Consumer Studies
University of Utah

801-581-6521