[Fcs-grad] Upcoming events and deadlines

Marissa Lynn Diener Marissa.Diener at fcs.utah.edu
Wed Apr 4 15:40:29 MDT 2012

Students - I know it is a busy time of year, but please read this message carefully - there is a
lot going on, and I don't want you to miss anything important.

1.  All HDSP students should plan on attending the 3 upcoming final thesis defenses.  These defenses
represent the culmination of the students' research over the past year or so, and are an important part
of our program.
    a) Friday, April 20th at 12:30 Robyn Fenn will defend
    b) Wed., May 2nd at 1:00PM - Laural Linnell will defend
    c) Wed., May 2nd at 2:30PM - Katie Newbold will defend

2.  Reminder that the Utah Council on Family Relations conference will be occurring THIS Friday, April 6th for
the majority of the day.  The keynote speaker is a former student of John Gottman's and her research is on
the transition to parenthood.  This is an opportunity to hear a national-level speaker at local prices ($10, I think).
Furthermore, several of our students are presenting posters, and many other students from around the state will
also be presenting.

3.  Applications for the Teaching Scholar program offered through the Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence
are due on Monday, April 16th.  We've had several students involved in this program over the years.  If you'd like to
teach after you graduate, this is a good opportunity.  The application and more information can be found at:
http://ctle.utah.edu/tas/   Please start thinking now about this program, because it requires a letter of rec. from
the dept. and a teaching philosophy statement - I can share a statement with you if you are interested.

4.  If you haven't met with Bobbi or me about what to register for for Fall (or Summer), please do so now.
Please don't wait until the first week of classes to think about what you want to register for.  Classes fill up...

5.  If you know, have classes with, or have had email correspondence with any of our incoming students (Cameron
Brewer, Michelle Chestnut, DeeDee Murphy, or Meiko Fuse), please welcome them.   They will be starting
in the fall (and possibly one or two more students...).
Thanks.  As always, please email or come by with questions or concerns.
-Marissa

Marissa Diener, Ph. D.
Associate Professor
Director of Graduate Studies