[Fcs-grad] upcoming thesis proposal defenses

Marissa Lynn Diener Marissa.Diener at fcs.utah.edu
Tue Nov 20 12:44:24 MST 2012

Hi, HDSP students.  I wanted to let you know the schedule of upcoming thesis proposal defenses.  These serve a number
of purposes:
1.  They provide an opportunity for you to learn about research in the department, providing breadth of knowledge.
2.  They provide a model for students in how to situate your own research in a body of literature and information on
methodological issues and how best to address them.
3.  They serve as preparation for one's own thesis proposal or defense, by giving you an idea of what works, what
doesn't, the type of questions asked, etc.
4.  They provide an opportunity to talk about research in a professional setting.
Thus, attendance at these is an important part of the learning in our graduate program, and you are expected to be there at these defenses
if you are being funded by the department.   If you are not being funded by the department, you are still strongly encouraged to attend.

Please note the date and times below and mark them on your calendar: (location is RM. 220 AEB)
a)	Kamille – Wed. Nov. 28th at 2:00PM
b)	Heather – Wed. Nov. 28th at 3:00PM
c)	Emma – Mon., Dec. 3rd at 1:30PM
d)	Lori – Tues., Dec. 4th at 1:30PM (before thesis development seminar)
e)	Kirsten – tentatively scheduled for Wed., Dec. 12th at 9:00AM

Let me know if you have any questions.  See you there.
Thanks.
-Marissa

Marissa Diener, Ph. D.
Associate Professor