[Fcs-grad] important upcoming events

Marissa Lynn Diener Marissa.Diener at fcs.utah.edu
Fri Oct 18 16:03:42 MDT 2013

Hi, everyone.  Hope you are enjoying fall break.  It is nice to have a change in routine and
be outside more!

I apologize if this is a repeat - I had trouble sending the message previously...

A couple of important upcoming events for you to know about:
1.  There is a national conference hosted by the U's Department of Sociology at the
end of next week.  This is an opportunity to hear national speakers and get a conference
experience without traveling.  Also, it is FREE!  That's very unusual for a conference.  So a
great opportunity all around.  Please go to the following link to read the program and see
if there are talks that might interest you - the talks are very diverse so the title of the conference
doesn't necessarily encompass it all.  See the conference program and more info at the
following link:

http://soc.utah.edu/graduate/development-conference.php

2.  Dr. Seung-Hee Son is teaching a new course next semester.  The course is EDPS 6718-001 (3 credits).
The title of the course is Literacy Development of Young Children.  The course meets
Friday 9:40 am – 12:40 pm OSH 130.

3.  I have the syllabus from the biostatistics course that meets one of the requirements for
the certificate in public health.  It will count for our statistics requirement.  The course is
FPMD 6100.  There is also an online Psych course (PSY 6250 Applied STatistics) that will
meet our requirement.  Thus, there are two options for next semester for those first year
students who would like to take both research methods and stats next semester.

4.  Reminder: there is a brown bag from someone from public health that might be of
interest to some of you.  It is in Psych (SBS Rm. 712) at noon on Friday.

5.  If you'd like to meet with me regarding your class choices for next semester, I've
blocked out some time.  The times I have available are :  Thurs., 10/24 8-11AM,
Friday 10/25 10-11AM or 1-4PM, or Tuesday, 10/29 8-11:30AM.  If you can't make
those times and would like to meet with me, let me know.  Also, second year students
should also consult with their committee members about courses that their committee
would like them to take.

Enjoy the remainder of fall break - darn!  Hate to see it ending so quickly.
Take care,
Marissa

Marissa Diener, Ph. D.
Associate Professor