[Fcs-grad] application for graduation

Marissa Lynn Diener Marissa.Diener at fcs.utah.edu
Mon Feb 3 15:56:35 MST 2014

Hi, HDSP students.  I believe that some of you applied for Spring graduation.  If you are completing a thesis,
it is very likely that your graduation semester will be SUMMER rather than spring.  In order to graduate in
spring semester, you must successfully defend your thesis, do the revisions your committee asks for, format
it and have it submitted to the thesis office by March 14th.  My experience is that this is not likely for our thesis
students.  The more typical pattern is that you will defend by the end of Spring semester (hopefully), and then
work on revisions and formatting and submit to the thesis office by June 15thish.  One you have your oral defense
of your thesis, you do not have to register for any additional credit hours, and you don't have to pay any more.  So
defending by the end of Spring semester is a good goal.

Non-thesis students - you will need to do an oral defense of some type of your project.  We have often done a poster
session, but there is a lot of flexibility - talk to your committee members about it.

SO, in terms of paperwork....  If you applied for Spring graduation and you aren't going to make it, you need to
reapply for Summer graduation.  Form is attached.  You also need to let me know your expected semester of
graduation - Bobbi usually handled this, and now it is me, so the sooner the better...  Send the form to the registar's
office, but send me an email indicating when you expect to graduate.

Thanks!
-Marissa