[Fcs-grad] FW: Policy at the Podium Luncheon on Nov. 13

ASHLEY ANNE JOHNSON ashley.johnson at fcs.utah.edu
Tue Oct 27 13:31:11 MDT 2015

From: Erin Saunders [mailto:erin.saunders at csbs.utah.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:30 PM
To: csbs_faculty at lists.utah.edu; csbs_majors_25sep15 at lists.utah.edu; csbs_staff at lists.utah.edu
Subject: [csbs_faculty] Policy at the Podium Luncheon on Nov. 13

Who pays for and who benefits from risk mitigation in society is a deeply political matter. What risks we are willing to live with and which we consider too harmful is culturally inscribed and  fiercely divisive issues that we as a society try to address with a scientific mindset and statistical probabilities.

Lina Svedin (Political Science) addresses this intersection of politics, ethics and societal risk management along with overarching findings from the book. Chris Simon (Political Science)  addresses ethical issues of managing the risks involved in both fossil fuel and renewable energy production. Leslie Francis (Law, Philosophy & Internal Medicine) presents ethical challenges  in the newest way of managing medical malpractice and medical data breaches.

Lunch provided so RSVP by
November 11th to
lina.svedin at utah.edu<mailto:lina.svedin at utah.edu>

On behalf of Lina Svedin,

Erin Saunders
Administrative Assistant
College of Social and Behavioral Science - Dean's Office
University of Utah
801-581-8620