[Fcs-grad] Letter from Dean Berg-Lori Kowaleski-Jones reappointed as chair

ASHLEY ANNE JOHNSON ashley.johnson at fcs.utah.edu
Sun May 13 09:12:43 MDT 2018

 Dear Faculty, Graduate Students, and Staff,

I am pleased to announce that I recommended that Dr. Lori Kowaleski-Jones be reappointed as Chair of Family and Consumer Studies through June 30, 2021.  This appointment has been approved by Interim Sr. V.P. Keith Diaz-Moore and will be forwarded for approval by the University of Utah Board of Trustees at their June Meeting.

I want to thank you all for meeting with me to discuss the future leadership of the Department of Family and Consumer Studies.  The feedback on Dr. Kowaleski-Jones was very positive indicating that her vision for the department is excellent.  Those interviewed noted that under her leadership a number of important accomplishments has been achieved in the past three years: preparing for a graduate council review, successfully hiring two new faculty members, leading the development of an interdisciplinary Ph.D. program, and successfully addressing undergraduate enrollments.  The general view was that these accomplishments occurred while she fostered a culture of fairness, inclusion, accountability, and collaboration.

Those interviewed had some thoughts for her next 3-year term, which I have communicated to her.  Feedback included further implementing her vision of where to take the department and to develop systems so that greater division of the important tasks of the department can be shared among faculty members.  Most interviewed mentioned that an important task of the next term is to seek additional funding (through external grant support, development) for the new Ph.D. program.

Anyone who has been involved in academic administration knows that it involves a lot of sacrifice of personal interests for the good of the whole.  I appreciate Lori’s willingness to serve another term and I look forward to continuing to work with her.    Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

All the best,  Cindy

Cynthia A. Berg
Dean, College of Social and Behavioral Science
Distinguished Professor of Psychology
332 S. 1400 East, Room 101
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
801-581-8620; 801-585-5081 (FAX)
http://www.csbs.utah.edu/
Inspiring human solutions to life’s challenges #bethesolution
[Description: news_icon2.gif]<http://www.csbs.utah.edu/newsletter.html> [Description: cid:image005.png at 01CC31A3.D4347660] <http://twitter.com/statuses/user_timeline/84378472.rss>  [Description: Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/uofucsbs>  [Description: Twitter] <http://twitter.com/uofucsbs>  [Description: YouTube] <http://www.youtube.com/uofucsbs>

Lab website:  http://www.psych.utah.edu/people/person.php?id=50
Consortium on Families and Health Research:  http://www.utah.edu/faculty/c-fahr/