[Fcs-staff] Recycling guidelines

Sandra Earl sandra.earl at fcs.utah.edu
Wed Jul 25 16:14:43 MDT 2007

There seems to be some confusion about what you can and can't put in the
new, as well as the existing gray, recycle bins.  To simplify, Demetrius
has asked that the gray bin be removed from the building.  This bin was
originally for only newspaper, but several months ago, we were given
permission to put bright colored and glossy paper and cardstock,
broken-down paperboard, magazines and flyers as well as newspapers in it.

There are the two new, large, blue bins on each floor of the building.
The one with the  WHITE OFFICE PACK label is for white and pastel paper
ONLY.  The other blue bin with the RED MIXED PAPER label is for
newspapers and advertising inserts, magazines, catalogues, paperback
books, deep tone and fluorescent papers, envelopes with or without
windows, cardstock--white or colored, manila envelopes or folders, paper
ream wrappers, staples, paper clips, tape, sticky-notes, bindings: wire
or plastic, comb or spiral.

We CANNOT put corrugated cardboard and paperboard (which is posterboard
and like what the 12-pk and 24-pk soda cartons are made of) in either
bin.  But the U of U now has a dumpster for this heavier cardboard, so
we'll stack it in the window sill area around the bins and Demetrius
will take care of it for now.  He said he would try to find a bigger box
that we can use to discard the cardboard, but, eventually, we hope there
will be a bin for that too.

The small, blue waste basket-size containers that some of you have in
your office and the medium-size, blue containers placed around the
building are Office Pack ONLY.  Kevin should be checking and emptying
those.  If he is forgetting, would you please let me know.
And if you have any questions or if there is something I didn't cover,
please do contact me.

Thanks a bunch!  Demetrius encourages all of us to "Please be gentle
with the bins."

Sandra