Stalin & World War II

Alex Trotter uburoi at panix.com
Thu Aug 4 19:28:05 MDT 1994

If it's true that the USSR's heavy industrial base was the only thing
that enabled successful resistance to Nazi invasion, then it's difficult
not to conclude that what Stalin did was justified. And that's a scary
thought.
	As for Vietnam, you're right that the parallel with WWII doesn't
hold up in some important ways. Still, the resistance of the Vietnamese
to the U.S. military was phenomenal, considering the disparity in
technology and firepower. Even considering the restraints of democracy
and the effects of media coverage and protest, you have to wonder: would
anything short of nuclear weapons have won the war for the United States?
I think U.S. leaders were more worried about rebellion among the troops
(highest level in any army since 1917) than about the anti-war movement.
	If Stalin was justified, does it follow that Mao, Ho Chi Minh et
al. were also justified? And if I disagree with that, am I an "objective
ally of fascism"? What becomes of the proletariat-as-subject if
everything comes down to a struggle to develop the forces of production?

--Alex Trotter