Reply to Wes on Stalin

eugeneh eugeneh at HUMANITIES1.COHUMS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Tue Aug 9 07:06:48 MDT 1994

     I see no valid reason to link Stalin's systematic state torture to
     Marx, Wes.  The anti-humanism of *some* post-Marx Marxists (e.g.
     Althusser) does not call into question the value of human life, but
     the humanist philosophy of history and society that puts individual
     human will at the center and as the source of social organization and
     historical change.

     As for the forcible re-education of bourgeois like ourselves, the
     so-called "dictatorship of the prolariat" will have no more difficulty
     inculcating post-class values in ex-bourgeois than the current
     "dictatorship of the bourgeoisie" has inculcating bourgeois values in
     the working class (something Marxists bemoan all the time): post-class
     society will be the best thing going, the "only game in town."

     Incidentally, bourgeois society has *already* eliminated previous
     ideas of family and marriage (for better or for worse), so let's not
     have any illusions about how stable such ideas are or how painful
     and/or liberating change cna be.

     Gene Holland