zig-zag/what is reason?

colin s. cavell cscpo at polsci.umass.edu
Wed Aug 17 13:45:00 MDT 1994

<Date: Wed, 17 Aug 1994 13:14:58 -0400 (EDT)
<From: Stephen Grossman <SGROSSMAN at umassd.edu>
<Subject: zig-zag/what is reason?
<Sender: marxism-approval at world.std.com
<To: marxism at world.std.com
<
<        Although Soviet Marxists continue nuclear war preparations, with new
<missiles, submarines and shelters, even SDI is useless unless a rational,
<systematic, and absolutist capitalist political philosophy is recognized as
<the most important weapon in our national defense. Ideology cannot be defeated
<by Pragmatism but only by another ideology. As rock chanteuse Marianne
<Faithfull so tartly sang, "We've been trying to get high without having to
<pay."

Stephen,
   Do you have a specific ideology in mind which you deem is necessary
to counter marxism with?  In other words, is there a specific name for
the particular "rational, systematic, and absolutist capitalist political
philosophy" to which you refer?

                                               colin

Colin S. Cavell				"This union [of workers] is helped
Department of Political Science		on by the improved means of
Thompson Tower				communication that are created by
University of Massachusetts		Modern Industry, and that place
Amherst, MA  01003			the workers of different localities
Internet:  cscpo at polsci.umass.edu	in contact with one another."
Voice:  (413) 546-3408 (H)		-- Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
        (413) 545-3683 (W)                   "The Communist Manifesto"